Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Stage 2 newbie

Share |

drippy faucet

got a drippy outside faucet. not toooo bad. but My concern is winterizing. will this cause serious issues?

I remember I had fixed it once before, I pulled the whole faucet out and replaced a little rubber peice i think called the 'seat'. I could tell that the metal was shredded though and that it was going to continue attacking this thing pretty bad. it lasted about a year.

any fix suggestions?

Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 PM   #2

drippy faucet

Until some plumbers show up, I vote replace the whole thing.HS

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:22 PM   #3

drippy faucet

Yea, I'd replace it with a frost-free unit or put in a shut-off valve/drain fitting (shut-off valve with a drain plug in it)
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
Stage 2 newbie

drippy faucet

I'm not totally sure how to do this from memory. I replaced the seat but I don't remember the details... any one able to walk me through it? or provide a link?

I'd be happy to take pictures while I do it if anyone wanted to sticky something like this since it seems like a simple procedure... assuming that info isn't already laid out somewhere else pretty clearly...

Dustin

PS: how much should I expect to pay in parts?
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #5

drippy faucet

What type of pipe feeds the hose bib? If it's copper that'll be easier. If it's PVC it can still be done, just a couple extra fittings. Either way, the easiest way to make sure you get everything in one trip would be to cut off a short section of the pipe feeding that faucet and take it to the hardware store. Tell them you need all fittings to get from that to a "frost free hose bib" (which I assume you'll also need to buy). BTW, don't go to the big-box for this, go to a GOOD hardware store where they will take the time to walk around and talk it thru..."this will get glued/soldered on to this....then this onto that.....and then thread this onto here...etc, etc."

If you go to the big box to do this yourself, don't be surprised if you get a few funny looks for talking to yourself...I always do:o , but then again...I don't care:D , cause I got all the fittings, glue, and whatever else I need...in ONE trip..because I talk to myself.

Oh yea, price...Of course it's going to vary some, but I think a frost free around here is about $30, maybe less or more..it's been a while.

OH...another BTW...If you don't want to use a frost free, you can make essentially the same thing with a shut-off valve with a drain. Get that type valve, cut the line 2 or 3...or 4 feet...or more, doesn't matter as long as it's in the heated part of the basement, anyway...cut the line and put the valve in place. After all the glue/solder dries/cools, place a block above the pipe on the nearest joist to push the valve down A LITTLE, just enough that it will drain the water from the bib to the valve. This might be easier and probably cheaper, but the downside is, it don't work if you forget to drain it. A frost free will stop the water well inside the house and can be fed all year long.

Last edited by jproffer; 11-15-2005 at 10:14 PM.
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote