Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dripping from showerhead on 1927 bungalow, dual wall controls/subway tiles

I knew that headline would raise some eyebrows! ;-)
1st post here.

After a brief search I saw some things about faucets, replacing washers etc. but because this is kind of a specialty due to it's age, and also because they're dual-wall mount controls, I was hoping for some specific help about this problem. The dripping was about 1 drop/10 secs for the last 3 years I've owned the house. Not a biggie, everything's original so to be expected. The last few days has seen a major increase and now I must act...

I took apart my garden wall-spout last year and threw the graphite string in there, so I think I can tackle this one.

Is this something I can do myself? Do I need to take the kick panel out of the linen closet in the hallway to get behind the shower or is it all doable by taking the faucet handles apart?

The drops are coming out very very luke warm so I can assume it's the hot but if I can I might as well address both and be done with it.

I realize this is something not exactly to modern specs and I love these handles like you can't imagine so I really want to keep them.

As with all functions of this great old house I'm assuming this was designed to fixed, not like today's disposable crap.

Any help would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Dripping from showerhead on 1927 bungalow, dual wall controls/subway tiles-b-018.jpg  

HeadshotSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow, have never seen an outfit like that. But I assume they come apart like any faucet and have washers that close on a seat. Washers have been around for a long time, so i would bet you find them somewhere. Seats may be another issue. If the seats are corroded/pitted, you may have to reface them. Is there a manufacturer name anywhere??

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Wow, have never seen an outfit like that. But I assume they come apart like any faucet and have washers that close on a seat. Washers have been around for a long time, so i would bet you find them somewhere. Seats may be another issue. If the seats are corroded/pitted, you may have to reface them. Is there a manufacturer name anywhere??
Haha, yeah there's lot's of these types in the 'Bungalow Belt' built around the outskirts of Chicago during the 10's-20's. That is, there were. Not a lot of these left anymore so that's why I'm restoring the entire house (notice I did not say REHAB)...

I guess maybe I'll just try to turn the house water off and start to unscrew what I can, post photos as I go along for feedback??
I'm a pro photog so I can get super detail closeups.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:13 AM   #4

just realized i never got back to this post but yes, .49 washer at Ace. Nice huh? All was perfect but then the stem itself started leaking so I had to try 20 different ways to wrap graphite thread around the post to get it to stop. And it does, but with the shower running a little bit comes out, not enough to annoy me too much.

Pretty fantastic machinery for those days...