Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:26 PM   #1

Share |

Dripping Faucet

I have an older Delta two handle faucet on my mop sink and the hot water valve started dripping. I pulled the cartridge, replaced washer and spring in bottom of the well and put her back together. Well she works fine except if I turn her off to the stop she starts dripping, back her off a slight bit and she stops dripping. Can the cartridge turn to far and start to open the supply? How can I fix this with out backing off the knob?

vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
DO IT RIGHT THE 1st TIME!

Dripping Faucet

Yes it can. Ive seen it happen with aging faucets (though the cartridge isnt always to blame). Best bet is to just buy new. If replacing the washer/spring didnt cure the problem, it might be time to buy a new setup.

I did the same thing on a plumbing call I got last week. Replaced internals and still leaked. Told the homeowner it should be replaced. Replaced it and lo and behold, no leaks

Tighten the handle down ALL THE WAY, it will stop leaking for a few seconds and as soon as you turn it on then off, it will start again....

You can replace a faucet for as little as $30.00 if you are REALLY on a tight budget, and 9 times outta 10 you dont need any extra parts

builttolast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #3

Dripping Faucet

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabear View Post
I have an older Delta two handle faucet on my mop sink and the hot water valve started dripping. I pulled the cartridge, replaced washer and spring in bottom of the well and put her back together. Well she works fine except if I turn her off to the stop she starts dripping, back her off a slight bit and she stops dripping. Can the cartridge turn to far and start to open the supply? How can I fix this with out backing off the knob?
did you make sure the ears lined up when you reinstalled the cartridge...if you did take it apart turn inter part of cartridge alittle and try it again
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Dripping Faucet

Cartridge went back in normally and ears lined up. So guess I need a new cartridge or not tighten her all the way down.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Dripping Faucet

Quote:
Cartridge went back in normally and ears lined up. So guess I need a new cartridge or not tighten her all the way down.
I don't tighten them down that tight just snug....cartridge not that expensive either....you got the right idea.....ben..let us know how you make out..
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 AM   #6

Dripping Faucet

Ben make me smart here when you say take cartridge apart and rotate it a little. Are you telling me to take the cartridge out, turn it over and rotate the inner portion (with the two ports) a little counter clockwise) and the reinsert and put the chrome lock ring back on (not too tight). and try it again ?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #7

Dripping Faucet

is the stop on the underside of the knob all there? if it isnt the knob will rotate too far past the shutoff point of the cartridge. without a knob on it the cartridge will spin 360 degrees.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #8

Dripping Faucet

Handle stops are in place and work I just feel that the cartridge is over rotating at the stop position and allowing water to flow again. Need to open her up and take a look.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Dripping Faucet

Quote:
Ben make me smart here when you say take cartridge apart and rotate it a little. Are you telling me to take the cartridge out, turn it over and rotate the inner portion (with the two ports) a little counter clockwise) and the reinsert and put the chrome lock ring back on (not too tight). and try it again ?
sometimes when homeowners take apart a faucet to repair they tend to try to go to far.... Iam thinking you rotated the inner part of cartridge..just a try..if not just put in new cartridge...
Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #10

Dripping Faucet

Took her apart, rotated inner part of cartridge CCW a bit, put her back together and all is well. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to vabear For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (02-28-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Tinker

Talking

Dripping Faucet

reading a post about a dripping faucet and this was mentioned. Didn't know these had cartridges. I know to cut off the main water supply before disassembling the faucet but don't know what you mean by a cartridge? Can I make sure the fitting under the faucet are tight? Will that cause the faucet to leak if the installer didn't tighten all the way?

THese new flexible hoses and fitting are different for me.

Jo Jones is offline   Reply With Quote