Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drip Emitter Septic System

Just bought a house. been here a week and the septic tank started overflowing into the yard. Fortunately the tank is lower than any pluming so it is leaking out into the woods beside the house.
So here is what I have learned about my system. It has a large 2 part holding tank (600 gal). the liquid overflows from that tank into a 450 gal pump tank. The liquid is pumped from the pump tank directly to the drip emitter lines.

I drained the pump tank and found that the pump was not working. There were electrical splices inside the tank that had come apart. Who would have a flying splice submerged in atank?? Furthermore there is no all weather box,its just a piece of uf romex that comes through a hole in the tank.

To add to the confusion, the system has a well type pump in the bottom. Not a traditional submersible pump, a well pump. It had a float ziptied to the side with electrical wires spliced to the pump.

All of this was permitted by the county when the house was built in 1995. Does anybody know why a well pump was used. Is this something that is typically done in a drip emitter system? I have a wife and two kids who need showers, toilets etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have considered buying and installing a typical septic pump but I want to know if well pumps are sometimes preferred for this type of system.

By the way. I have the electrical circuit turned off and the pump (well pump) removed.

Thank you in advance,

Aaron

Aarone1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 666

What state are you in.??

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Some pumps used look like well pumps but they are for a septic tank. They are used to pump filtered water long distances better than traditional looking septic pumps.

http://www.septictankparts.com/Lift-...FY1xOgodQmUAnw
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:06 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I have a similar set up, but mine has a regular "Dose Pump" made to be submerged. It has a float switch to control it. There is also a second float switch wired to an alarm box in the basement, should the dose pump fail. The connections on mine were made sloppily by the installer. After a short time they corroded and everything quit. I mounted a water tight box on the side of the tank entry tube as high as possible and then respliced all the connections with sealed connectors. Been working for a dozen years or more with no issues. A regular shallow well puump would need to be mounted high enough to stay dry and need a foot valve to keep it's prime. An alarm circuit would be a must I would think.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:50 AM   #5
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Sounds pretty typical. You should post some pictures. How do you know it's a "well pump" and not a sewage/effluent pump?
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
field line, pump, seepage, septic, sewage