Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
New House Newbie

Share |

Drilling a water well this weekend. Have questions...

I am finally hiring a semi-professional to drill a well in my backyard to irrigate my yard. We at first tried a shallow well at 20', but there was not enough water to make it work, so now we are going down 60' with a submersible deep well pump. So I have a couple questions for the water well extraordinaire:
1. If I am using this strictly for irrigation, do I need a tank? I know I still need a pressure switch, but did not know if the tank is necessary.
2. To connect the pump to the piping above ground, I can just use the black poly pipe similar to what I used for my sprinkler system, correct?
2. For the well casing, can I use this stuff?

Any other additional tips and tricks that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Make sure you have enough beer, so that when the driller is done with the job, you and the crew can sit back and have a few. As for "Semi-Professional", that can cause more trouble, then saving money, unless they know what they are doing, and are good at it.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Without a pressure tank the pump will be turning on and off non stop and will wear out the pump and the pressure switch.
How do you plan on winterizing this if you have exposed plastic pipe? It will burst.
We do not know your whole plan but most often it's best to run it below the frost line under ground and use a yard hydrant where you need the water to come out.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
New House Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Make sure you have enough beer, so that when the driller is done with the job, you and the crew can sit back and have a few. As for "Semi-Professional", that can cause more trouble, then saving money, unless they know what they are doing, and are good at it.
Semi-professional is indeed a friend of a firend, but he built his drilling trailer(this is actually his second design) so he could put his own geothermal in, which he did and works well. He was also the one that got me down 20' before we hit a rock and vibrated the side of the well out losing my seal for the drilling fluid. Now a new location.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
New House Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Without a pressure tank the pump will be turning on and off non stop and will wear out the pump and the pressure switch.
How do you plan on winterizing this if you have exposed plastic pipe? It will burst.
We do not know your whole plan but most often it's best to run it below the frost line under ground and use a yard hydrant where you need the water to come out.
Any particular size to get? For my shallow well pump that we tried with the 20' well, I just bought a 2 gallon which I still have.

As far as winterizing it, a farmer friend of mine says he runs his well and starts pulling the pump up until it sucks air and then shuts it off and drops the pump back down the hole. It sounds feasible, but is it?

This well will be plumbed straight into my underground sprinkler valve manifold, so in theory whenever the electronic valve opens, the pump should turn on.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:23 PM   #6

I think your well case needs to be solid pipe. The object is to prevent contamination of the water table.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
New House Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker
I think your well case needs to be solid pipe. The object is to prevent contamination of the water table.
If its solid how would water get inside the casing to the pump?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
A "Handy Husband"

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_GO View Post
If its solid how would water get inside the casing to the pump?

You do not understand how an artesian well is constructed. The solid casing goes down and is sealed to the bedrock to keep ground water out of the well. The well is drilled into the bedrock (without casing) and the water comes from the seams in the rock.

Here is a reference:

http://info.forwater.com/bid/53033/6...-not-dug-wells

http://www.forwater.com/welldrilling.html
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
DIY staff

That looks like 4" pipe---well casing needs to be 6" ---if you wish to fit a pump into it---and have room to remove it in the future.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

You can use a 4" casing with a 3" or 4" pump, but I have never seen nor heard of a perforated casing. The problem though with a 4" casing is that it has to be darn near perfectly aligned to get a 4" pump down the first time, and you may not get it back out after things settle and rust starts to form. Your best bet, in my opinion, would be to run the pump to a hydrant, as Joe suggested, then run from that to your irrigation lines. A hydrant is designed to drain the water in the riser back into the ground when it is shut off, so that would take of freezing there. Water would remain in the horizontal run, so you'd need to have the adapter at the casing and the line itself deep enough to avoid freezing.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

You need a pitless adapter, a frost / freeze proof hydrant, a 120 volt submerged pump, and a switch, either manual or auto sensing of some type, to turn the pump on and off . No pressure tank or pressure switch is necessary. In fact I wouldn't install a pressure tank with less than 3 gallon draw down.

If installing a frost proof hydrant don't leave it connected in any way to any above ground container when it is shut off. It will siphon the container/tank dry.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
A "Handy Husband"

PVC well casing is not regular PVC schedule 40 pipe.

Google PVC casing.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
New House Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
You do not understand how an artesian well is constructed. The solid casing goes down and is sealed to the bedrock to keep ground water out of the well. The well is drilled into the bedrock (without casing) and the water comes from the seams in the rock.

Here is a reference:

http://info.forwater.com/bid/53033/6...-not-dug-wells

http://www.forwater.com/welldrilling.html
I am not drilling down into the bedrock. In fact it is the ground water that I am after.

I looked online at PVC casing and they sell both solid and perforated. For my case I am almost 100% sure I need perforated. What I have found is that you would gravel pack as high as you can (at least past the perforated sections) so that sand/dirt/silt does not clog the perforations or get inside the casing.

Thanks for all the chatter as it made me re-evaluate my thinking; keep it coming. I will post back after we get the hole drilled and pipe installed.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
New House Newbie

Just a quick update. We were ale to drill down 75' in a matter of a couple hours and tried to install the casing. We found out that we did not use enough polymer in the drilling water to keep the walls rigid enough as it started to collapsing before the case could get installed. We will re-drill this again hopefully this weekend and use a little more polymer in the fluid. I again will keep this updated with the progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to C_J_GO For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #15

This thread, and the questions you've asked, are a perfect example of why, where I live, it is illegal for an unlicensed person to drill a water well of any sort. And even licensed drillers must be approved by the Health Department. "Illegal" doesn't mean just a fine, it can mean jail time as well. We're serious about our water here LOL.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Peppe1019 (08-23-2013)

Tags
irrigation, pump, water well, well drilling