Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

drilling through joists

hey all, maybe someone can point me in the right direction here and let me know what they think....

I want to move the toilet and bathtub in my kids' bathroom. In order to do so, I would have to run the drain for the toilet through probably 4 floor joists. My joists are 2x16" engineered wood I beams, installed 12" OC and they span 30'. The bathroom is against the exterior back wall of the house and just about dead smack middle of the house (side to side). Can I drill that large of a hole through the joists? I haven't opened the floor yet but I have a pretty good idea of how everything is run - before I open the floor I want to see if I can even do what I want. If I can't drill through the joists, no point in opening the floor..

Would it help any if I used 3" for the toilet instead of 4". The house was built 10 years ago and I just moved in about a year. I have opened the floor for some other work and have never been able to find a name stamped on the joists which would allow me to get specs on them. Is there a general rule of thumb here??

Thank you!!

mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

drilling through joists

Without knowing the brand I think you are out of luck, every one that I worked with had their own rules of where you can drill and how large. I never heard of the rules being generic.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,218

drilling through joists

2 x16, 12" o.c., 30ft span. - those are scary sounding specs. I wouldn't drill without more enginering info. Perhaps you can trace the builder down thru the permit office?
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote