Drill Porcelain Sink For Soap Dispenser? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

drill porcelain sink for soap dispenser?

Is it at all possible to drill a hole for a soap dispenser into a porcelain sink? I believe it's just porcelain, without a metal structure.

This is the top: http://www.ronbow.com/item/217732

I ask because a) we already have this sink top and b) it'd be nice to avoid having a soap dish sitting on it. I bought it from a local plumbing supply place when they were turning over their floor models. So it's the one I've got and other than not having a dispenser hole it's perfect for the room.

I do have a diamond-tipped hole saw to make the right sized hole. I used it in some Silestone a while back to make faucet holes (same size needed here). I've used one for drilling out some spigot holes into porcelain wall tile, and dealt with keeping the bit wet. This would be less hassle as it's a horizontal surface.

I also have a Hydrohandle drill kit, but haven't yet used it on anything.

I'm not asking about the pros/cons of a dispenser, just asking whether or not it'd be even possible to add a hole. The dispenser would have an escutcheon around it that would cover the likely rough edge of the hole. I'm just wondering what the process is for drilling through a porcelain surface like this. As in, when drilling holes through our boat's gelcoat and fiberglass it's often a good idea to start the bit in reverse, and use tape on the surface to avoid stray nicks. Any tips/warnings for porcelain?

Advertisement

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I have had to drill some much smaller holes in a porcelain top. It was very slow, but it worked. I would start knowing it might shatter/crack and be prepared to replace it, but it is worth a try. Good luck, and let us know how it turned out!

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

I hear ya regarding being prepared to replace it should things go wrong. I'd definitely be very cautious about it. Best to let the bit do the work and not add undue pressure on it causing it to crack. And not use the hammer setting on the drill, of course.

I might go so far as to pick up something second-hand to do some testing. Like an old toilet or something, as that would likely have the same construction properties. I'm not in a rush here. I likely won't be able to get to this until after we move back into the house.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,516

I would try calling the mfg and asking them if they have recommended tools/procedures for drilling.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:57 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,746

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-1-4-FIXTUR...-/270565235697
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Bill Kearney

I've got this the large kit on this page: http://www.hydrohandle.com/accessories.cfm
Old 09-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,312

You should be fine----I suggest you drill a hole in a block of wood and tape that onto the sink to keep the bit from walking as it gets started---that will also hold water and keep the bit lubricated.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

Use water to keep the area being drilled cool, a buddy of mine did one worked out ok, he used water and went very slow.

Advertisement

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote