Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #1

Share |

Dresser coupling with galvanized pipe

I'm repairing a rusted out 1/2" galvanized pipe in the wall which went to a spigot for the washing machine. All the connections were pretty seized so I had to cut the pipe. I'm using a dresser compression coupling to connect the old cut pipe to the new installed pipe in a vertical installation. The new section of pipe comes out of the coupling to a tee and continues upward creating an air chamber which is capped. The problem is when I turned on the water to test for leaks the new section of pipe popped out of the dresser coupling. Is this to be expected because the new section was unsecured? Is it a requirement to have both ends secured from movement when using this type of coupling?
shnaig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

It was time to bite the bullet long ago and just replace all of that old pipe. If it has already leaked one place there's a 100% chance it's going to leak someplace else.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #3

Yes, I agree that would be nice; however, that would require removing a substantial part of the wall which I don't have time for right now. Do you have a response to any of my questions?
Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

Shouldn't be a problem dead ending off of a dresser.im assuming you put galvanized or brass in both ends of the dresser.copper won't hold.
plumberman134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Dresser couplings usually work really well. You may need to take it all apart and insure you have the new pipe fully inside the dresser. Then hold the dresser with one wrench and use another to tighten the coupling onto the new pipe.
sanec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumberman134 View Post
Shouldn't be a problem dead ending off of a dresser.im assuming you put galvanized or brass in both ends of the dresser.copper won't hold.
Galvanized on both ends which were fully in the coupling. Have you ever "dead ended" off of a dresser coupling where the dead end is not secured? Why do you think the pipe popped out?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
call me E

Probably not tight enough. A trick I've seen done before- span the dresser with electricians grounding wire and use their grounding clamps to anchor to the pipes
Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Probably not tight enough. A trick I've seen done before- span the dresser with electricians grounding wire and use their grounding clamps to anchor to the pipes
The connections were very tight. Interesting solution with the grounding clamps. The fact that you've seen this setup implies that the pipe does need to be secured regardless whether it's tight or not. Did you see this trick in a setup where one side of the coupling was a dead end?
Old 05-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
call me E

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaig View Post
The connections were very tight. Interesting solution with the grounding clamps. The fact that you've seen this setup implies that the pipe does need to be secured regardless whether it's tight or not. Did you see this trick in a setup where one side of the coupling was a dead end?
TBH, I've only used a dresser a couple of times and they were on buried lines. I don't trust them nor does my inspectors.
It's best that you get the pipe out of the fitting. Put some heat on the fitting and use cheaters on your wrenches. It'll come off
Old 05-01-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
TBH, I've only used a dresser a couple of times and they were on buried lines. I don't trust them nor does my inspectors.
It's best that you get the pipe out of the fitting. Put some heat on the fitting and use cheaters on your wrenches. It'll come off
The next fitting below is an elbow and I'm afraid if I remove the pipe that the elbow will be unusable because it's rusty. Then I will have to go further to the next fitting and have to tear the whole wall out. Would the heat make it that much easier? Would you recommend penetrating oil also?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnaig View Post
The next fitting below is an elbow and I'm afraid if I remove the pipe that the elbow will be unusable because it's rusty. Then I will have to go further to the next fitting and have to tear the whole wall out. Would the heat make it that much easier? Would you recommend penetrating oil also?
yep heat as eplumber said it will come out get rid of dressler cuppling and repipe us a union ....ben...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote