DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

drains in basement with primer lines

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  velcomrob 
#1 ·
I have three drains in our basement. The primer lines were never hooked up by the builder.

There are no faucets in my basement so im wondering what would be easiest way to attach 3 trap primers? The water line is very close to the 3 lines.

I was looking at something like this

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...mer-Automatic-Trap-Primer-Valve/39422/Cat/776

but it says it needs to be close to a faucet. How close is "close"? there is a water softener that is about 5 feet from the primer lines.

would that give enough PSI drop to trigger the PR-500 ?

I was also thinking of installing a sink with a faucet that includes a primer outlet. but this might be wasted money since that sink would barely be used, if at all.

any ideas would be great, thanks!!

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont' see anything there that says it requires less than 5 feet from a faucet.

The trap primer works based on a pressure drop in the entire system. It shouldn't matter how far it is from a faucet. That primer is good for 4 floor drains, so it should work in your situation, you just need to build a manifold below it, or the other option is to install 3 trap primers, 1 for each drain.

#3 ·
So if we turned a faucet on upstairs, will the PSI drop enough to trigger the valve?

PDF for the valve is here

http://www.pppinc.net/index.php?act...%BF%C9%95%96%98%9F%9D%E7%CC%C7&did=1294786945

in the document it says this

Must be installed near a fixture that creates a​
minimum of 10 PSIG pressure drop.

would operating a toilet or opening a faucet cuase this sort of drop ? the faucets are on main floor and second floor

#5 ·
We have two sump pumps in our basement. The second one where drains connect is for backup incase the first one fails.

Problem is city inspector wants them hooked up as well so we can get full occupany permit.

Otherwise i'd pour water myself every so often. There are no gasses since all the drains are used for is backup flooding and condensation from our Geothermal unit A/C

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.