Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Draining wshing machine/ sink to sump.

I have our washing machine in our basement and have had it draining to a floor drain. I will be honest in saying I dont think I should be doing that. But I dont know an aternaive. Hopefully you guys can help.

We bought the house and had to have foundation issues fixed. I replumbed the whole house with PEX at this time. A sump was installed with primary and backup pumps. It is about 20 feet from where washer hookups are located. I want to know if it would be ok to run a pipe, probably 2 inch, from washer to the sump. I would run a pipe with a funnel up to the washer heght and mount to the wall, run it down and install a tee where the sink would drain into, and then run it to the sump, at downward angle of course. Is this up to code?

I am on city water/sewer. I dont know where the floor drain drains too. There is standing water in it and this is what scares me. It has not overfowed. It doesnt seem to smell.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

tedennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,216

Mine drains into the floor drain. Been that way for years with no problems. Previous original owner had it that way, when we bought thw house, so I left it that way.

Too much work to cut the floor and run a drain to the mainline.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Run water and see if it goes into thw sump. If not, it goes to city sewer.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I know the floor drain does not drain to the sump. I have read in other posts it could drai. To main line or to stones under floor.

I guess I just didn't think having an open drain was up to code or sanitary for that matter. I want to cover drain up because right now I could stick my foot into it.

Maybe the drain just needs cleaned out.
tedennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,180

find out where drain is connected...should be main sewer...cut concrete from drain in floor to laundry center install new drain ..cement back up ..to code and done properly..ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Ours, we place a bucket upside down over it, even though it sits next to our stairs. As for plumbing it properly, keep in mind that you are going to have to pull permits when you do the work.