Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Share |

Draining washing machine into cleanout

Guys I have a house built on a slab and have discovered my washing machine drain is leaking water under the foundation. I know the big fix and know its big $. For time being i want to run the hose into my sewer clean out. My questions are do I need a check valve inline? I know this isnt the best idea but for a short term fix can this work and what do I need to know.My plans were just to drill a hole and install a small Y maybe say 1" and hook the hose to it. The house already has a hole drilled in it.....I think the old owner had this same problem

mopar383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
BIGRED

Your washing machine drain should be part of your sewer drain in the first place. If the washer goes anywhere else it is probably illegal or at least killing your grass, flowers, and trees. Don't screw up the rest of your sewer line by drilling holes in it without putting in proper fittings and venting for the washer. Washers require a 2in. diam. x 36in. stand pipe with a trap under it going into a 2in. vent tee with the discharge going downhill into the sewer. The upper end of the vent tee needs to be extended to the out of doors or to your buildings' sewer vent through the roof. Any thing else will release methane gas into your living quarters, be dangerous and maybe get you in more trouble with the boss lady.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grampa Bud For This Useful Post:
plumberinlaw (02-27-2011)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #3

hack hack hackity hack. Fix it right. what your talking is dangerous and illegal
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:55 PM   #4

The washing machine drain hose as it exists must not have an extension hose spliced on and the end must fit loosely into whatever it drains into.

You may not unscrew an existing cleanout plug and insert the washing machine hose there because the inside of the sewer pipe there will be messy and hazardous sewer gas will come out. Also depending on the geometry of the cleanout, the washing machine water may pour back out instead of go down.