Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

draining up hill

I know that water doesn't drain up hill, but what kind of inexpensive way can I drain a free-standing laundry tub into the same drain for my washer, which is higher, of course, than the laundry tub drain. I was thinking of some type of pump. The floor is a cement slab, BTW. Would sure appreicate feedback.

Patt

Patth9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

draining up hill

A sump pump might do it.
Mike

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #3

draining up hill

Put a tee in the line where it comes up past the sink and put a P trap in it and do it right!! Put it in the pipe that goes up to the roof as a stack!! Use a couple no hub connections or glue in proper pieces and fittings. Maybe glue the bottom and no hub the top!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

draining up hill

They used to make a pump/pan just for this puropse. Dont have a brand but I think you can Google it and can find it. Horrible Dump used to carry them
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:04 AM   #5

draining up hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdon View Post
Put a tee in the line where it comes up past the sink and put a P trap in it and do it right!! Put it in the pipe that goes up to the roof as a stack!! Use a couple no hub connections or glue in proper pieces and fittings. Maybe glue the bottom and no hub the top!!
Got'cha. I was taking my husband's word for it when he said it couldn't be done without a pump. Then, after your note, I climbed up on the washer with a flash light and saw it could be done, also found some missing socks back there.

In fact, there is a clean out plug that could be reduced to fit a smaller pvc fitting and it's approximately 13 inches from the floor. There is already a P trap and stack, of course for the washer. Assuming the sink's lowest point is higher than 13 inches from the floor, it should be a no brainer. To be fair, my dear husband had forgotten what it looked like behind the washing machine. Hey, I didn't work in hardware/plumbing for three years for nothing.

Your note helped a lot, I knew just what you were talking about.

Thanks!

Patt
Old 02-28-2008, 02:36 PM   #6

draining up hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patth9 View Post
I know that water doesn't drain up hill, but what kind of inexpensive way can I drain a free-standing laundry tub into the same drain for my washer, which is higher, of course, than the laundry tub drain. I was thinking of some type of pump. The floor is a cement slab, BTW. Would sure appreicate feedback.

Patt

Home Depot or Lowes (just don't remember which one) has Flotec all-in-one system for such needs. I saw it when I was running by the pumps isle. It consists of a closed container, a sump pump and all necessary hardware in it to solve issues like yours. Sorry not to remember more details, but I actually thought to myself at the moment "What a neat idea!" when I saw the set..
Check that out - http://www.flotecpump.com/asp/Product.asp?PId=305

Last edited by remi999; 02-28-2008 at 03:52 PM.
remi999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #7

Thumbs up

draining up hill

Thanks, remi999, skymaster, justdon, Mike Swearinge

I appreciate your advice(s) and help. Turns out, justdon's idea worked, it's all installed. Man, I've always wanted a untilty sink. Now, when it's time to clean out the paint pans, no more messing up my kitchen.

Hope this post helps other people too.

Remi999, thanks for the link, that's a good one to bookmark.

Patt