DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

draining a softener

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Akpsdvan 
#1 ·
Hi and thanks for this opportunity. I have a Culligan Mark 89 softener model #445437 and I need to know how to drain this unit so I can store it in an area that will be below freezing temps. The valve head is connected to the tank (cylinder) with two tubes that go through the plastic cover over the tank. Can't seem to discover how it comes apart. Any help on this would be great!! Thanks, Ringo

#2 ·
If you have a compressor and can un hook the bypass from the back side of the valve body then you will be able to blow out the water from the tank that is under the valve body.
Think of the air like the water, air in, water in ,,, air out water out.
It would be the simplest way of doing the winterizing that you are talking about.

#3 ·
Hey thanks for responding. It did cross my mind that that would work, I guess I thought if I learned how to take it apart then I could replace the resin when it came time to reinstall. That will wait. Suppose that there will be water left in the verious valve compartments that I should cycle it around to evacuate all those as well. That's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for your help!!!!! R.

#4 ·
Reason that you would want to replace the resin?
Is it that old and that bad of water?
If you blow out all the water that will come out the first time and then wait for about 5 minutes and blow out the water again, there should be way less water the second time, then wait and blow it out again and do this till there is little to no water coming out and you should have no problems.
I do this very thing time and time again and have yet to lose a tank to winter -30F....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.