Draining Carbonic Acid - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Draining Carbonic Acid

First time post:

I have a high efficiency furnace and the carbonic acid is draining through a plastic tube to the center basement floor waste drain. The sump pump pit is located on the far side of the long basement.
Due to some water/waste backup and the basement now being finished, i have purchased a plumbingsupply flood guard float model
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/floodguard.html

I assume the acid dripping onto the float will corrode the metal or the rubber float ball over time, so what's the best way to keep a valve and/or neutralize the acid? There is about a 3in space above the float valve in the pipe and surface of the floor. I suppose i could lay down a fine screen and pour some lime pellets in huh!!

Thanks

Advertisement

justintbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,048

Draining Carbonic Acid

Carbonic acid loses its potency when exposed to the atmosphere. Collect it in a wide pan near the furnace with an overflow tube leading to the drain.

You could neutralize the acid with baking soda or lime but the compounds generated in this process are equally corrosive (like salt on the metal underside of a car) as the carbonic acid itself which is actually a very weak acid compared to other acids like sulfuric acid.

Carbonic acid is what gives the fizz to soda pop.

Advertisement

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-07-2010 at 10:38 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Draining Carbonic Acid

I'd go to a furnace supply place and buy an acid neutralizer kit. It's a 8"ish long piece of pvc pipe with threaded caps on each end, filled with limestone chips. The caps have 1/2" female tappings. Every hi eff boiler I've ever put in has one, and you really need to have one. You have to get new chips every year or two, plumbing systems aren't meant to dispose of acids.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote