Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

Drainage Woes

My toilet clogged, went down, but didn't flow well, so I flushed and plunged.
I heard some noises from the sink after doing this for a while, and got a bad premonition.

My fears were confirmed when I went to the basement and found some water leaking from high up on a 4" Iron leaded joint. It looks like it had been tarred, so I'm guessing it was a problem in the past. The real problem is what I found down there, tells me the 4" main pipe is clogged somewhere. I also have a floor drain that has been clogged for a while.

can I rent some sort of a drain cleaner tool (I can access a clean-out that Ys into the main above the clog spot, I know that because the clean-out sprayed when I opened it), or should I just call in a pro with a camera to see what is up?

The clog did seam to eventually clear itself, but I am hoping to avoid a repeat performance.

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #2

Drainage Woes

power augers are available for rent check yellowpages.com They are dangerous and can cause major hurt. The clog probably did not clear by itself if it was in a main line, over time water just filtered by it. If you need to call for help look for a experienced local service plumber. Be careful of servicemen that try to upsell they usually work on comission and don't have your best interest in mind

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #3

Drainage Woes

Yes, I noticed it was not completely cleared. I heard some gurgling after a toilet flush and a shower this morning. I'm guess that means it filled past the point were the vent splits off. It will do till Friday when I'll have time to rent something.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
40+yrs Paint Trades

Drainage Woes

Call Roto Rooter or similar drain cleaning service. In my area a main line clean out runs around $150.00 with a year guarantee.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

Drainage Woes

I think rental will be around $50, and I can do my main, a side branch that is really clogged, and help open up a line at my parents' place.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:14 PM   #6

Drainage Woes

well, it ended up being a little more involved than I thought. I rented a small sewer jetter, and it couldn't make any turns. I gut my money back. I rented a smallish power auger, it punch right through, but it clogged up again in a day. I was asking advice on who to hire, and got family friend who works for the city to do me a favor.

I rented a large power auger and he borrowed a camera. wouldn't have got it without the video. Turns out it was a break in the pipe that let roots get in underneath the middle of the house. Had to use the biggest cutter to get the roots, then shoved it the city main with the camera.

I've heard salt can stop root regrowth. I'll do that, and probably cut down the tree (Chinese Elm) and repair the break when I remodel the bathroom and relocate the toilet. The break is about a foot from were I'd access the main to put in the new toilet drain.

It only cost me a $50 birthday gift card and $3 in cash, plus living in a small town with some connections helped quite a bit.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

Drainage Woes

Use copper sulfate to kill the roots. It's sold in hardware stores.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #8

Drainage Woes

copper sulfate only kills in the flow line of the pipe, you all ready augured that. Google ROOT-X, it will kill all the roots even the roots in the top of the pipe

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote