Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

drainage problem...

the house we live in was originally built with the laundry room downstairs. The guy we bought it from moved it upstairs. to drain the washing machine, he installed a pvc pipe straight down (10 ft?) over probably 4 ft then put the end of it into the original drain pipe. it only goes in the pipe about 1/2 inch, and the pipe he installed does have a little gap around it (1/4" to maybe 1/2"?). The original pipe then goes into the foundation, across (or by) the basement floor.

Now, when the washing machine starts draining, after about 20 seconds, the basement drain starts over flowing. if we don't stop it from draining the original pipe will start to overflow also.

There ARE other plumbing fixtures in the basement (toilet, sink, shower) and they all drain fine... Should there be a vent coming up from the pipe coming from upstairs above the washing machine?

according to my mom, this has been doing this since day one, (35 years ago?)

bac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 76

drainage problem...

Got some pictures.
Sounds like the trap for the washing machine may be plugged up. (if there even is one)

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

drainage problem...

The pipe should have a vent----and a P-trap---be 2" ----post a picture of whay exists---someone will help you engineer the new piping for trouble free operation---

Mom deserves the best-----Moms are nice----
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

drainage problem...

ok, I added the pictures, less if I can remember them correctly,
first one shows the pipe behind the washer (no trap),
second one shows the black pipe coming down (it's the one with a sponge between it and the water pipe)
third shows the pipe where it runs across the wall in the utility room
forth shows where it goes into the original drain pipe
and
fifth just shows how the upstairs pipe sits slightly inside the original drain pipe.

there's no trap on the upstairs pipe, and being not connected to the main drain shouldn't need one, should it? if there is one in the original, it's under the foundation.

I've augered it a couple times with a 3/8(cable) auger, the 1/2(cable) auger won't go very far.

so, now my question is, is there anything wrong with the way that black pipe is run that could be causing the water to back up in the pipes in the foundation?
Attached Thumbnails
drainage problem...-2012-11-07_17-12-38_416.jpg   drainage problem...-2012-11-07_17-11-16_401.jpg   drainage problem...-2012-11-07_17-11-29_793.jpg   drainage problem...-2012-11-07_17-11-37_383.jpg   drainage problem...-2012-11-07_17-11-51_652.jpg  

Old 11-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
DIY staff

drainage problem...

the black pipe isn't your trouble maker---unless the washing machine piped into it is backing up---

The stand pipe in the basement is the culprit== If you can clear that line you will be back in business---it is non compliant----there is no P=trap under the floor----

If that is going to be impossible to clear---look over head for a main drain line that can be tapped for a proper drain----a P-trap and vent will also be needed if you go that route---

Post a picture of any exposed drain pipes and we can help you find a new route to the street for Moms wash water---
bac512 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #6

drainage problem...

yeah, I kinda figured it was in the pipes under the foundation, I was just hopin maybe a vent, or extra bend in there to slow the water down would help, but, I guess not. There are no other exposed drain pipes the basement is finished with exception of that little utility area. I guess I'll try augering again...

Do you think it would be a wise idea to SEAL that area where the original pipe and the other pipe come together (pic 5) and add a P trap there? The only time she ever says anything about a bad smell is when the water over flows....
(the sink (the pipe you can see at the very bottom of the pic, coming in on the side) DOES have a p trap on it)

Last edited by bac512; 11-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 76

drainage problem...

Look close at the PVC pipe near the floor Mike. I see two furncos that could be disconnected once the sink drain is unhooked to snake it out.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
DIY staff

drainage problem...

Yep---try Joe's idea----remove the stand pipe temporarily and try snaking without the stand pipe in the way----