Drainage Flow Into Sump Pump Pit - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drainage Flow into Sump Pump Pit

Hello everyone,

I recently moved into our new home. It had been disclosed when we purchased the house that the basement had flooded because of a sump pump failure. I installed a new battery backup/primary pump combo but I still worry that it won't keep up at times. Water has been flowing into the pit at what I think is a pretty good rate 4 days after a rain fall. Should I be worried and should I have a professional come in and find the source of the water? Or is there something I can do myself? I'm just worried at some point the pumps won't keep up.

I can't attach the video(to large) but if anybody is interested in looking at it, I can send it to you.

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Caleb

Advertisement

cgrundmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
Do something

Rewards Points: 75

What size pit do you have? Maybe you'll need a larger pit & pump? It may be worth the call out fee to have a journeyman plumber come out to your place and help you.

Advertisement

D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The sump basin is 16"x24". I've pondered the idea of adding a secondary pit but that still doesn't solve the problem of water flowing in. Just adds more wiggle room (which may be my best bet). I've attached a screen shot of the video.

-Caleb
Attached Thumbnails
Drainage Flow into Sump Pump Pit-sump-pump1.jpg  
cgrundmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

You can't stop the water from coming in, that is the whole point of a sump pump and pit. The water enters the pit at a rate controlled by the level of groundwater relative to the bottom of the sump pit, and the permeability of the soil. Unless you live in an exceptionally high water table area with very porous (read sandy) soil, your pump is not likely to be the weak link in the system.

The most probable cause of failure of the system will be an extended power outage during a lengthy rain storm(battery runs out), failure of the float switch, or complete failure of the pump due to debris or electrical malfunction. You can spend a small fortune installing duplicate pumps, duplicate backup battery systems, or automatic start generators, but it is almost impossible to completely guarantee that your system will never fail. I have lived in my house for 20 years, and the basement has flooded twice, once when the pump broke during a rainstorm, and once when the power failed.

My solution is to place all the important items in the basement (washer, dryer, water pump) above maximum possible flood level, and not leave anything valuable down there.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump pump