Drain Vents? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Drain vents?

I am adding a sink in my basement. I will be using the existing drain for the upstairs kitchen sink, but I need to vent this new drain. Does the vent have to be at any sort of angle? The vent stack is on the other side of the basement. I am hoping I can just run a line right to it.

Advertisement

Railz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drain vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railz View Post
I am adding a sink in my basement. I will be using the existing drain for the upstairs kitchen sink, but I need to vent this new drain. Does the vent have to be at any sort of angle? The vent stack is on the other side of the basement. I am hoping I can just run a line right to it.
Vent needs to connect above the drain and stay above the drain, and should not have slopes backwords that allow it to fill with water. So treat it like a drain like, except you can run it at hard angles with no problems. So make hard 90's and such as necessary for easy routing.

Jamie

Advertisement

jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Drain vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railz View Post
You said: "but I need to vent this new drain."

Are you sure you need to run a vent pipe to it? Why not just use an AAV (Air Admittance Valve), also called a Studor Vent?

Essentially, the sole purpose of a vent pipe is to allow air in behind the draining water in case the suction created behind that draining water becomes high enough to suck the water out of the P-trap. That's very unlikely in your case since the vent from the kitchen sink drain will also allow air in behind any water draining from your new sink.

So, if it wuz me, I'd just install an inset medicine cabinet in the wall above that sink and have an air admittance valve behind that medicine cabinet so that you can access it to replace it if necessary.

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...ittance-valves

http://www.studor.net/

This is what they'd use if the building plans call for a sink in a kitchen counter top "island". You don't want an ugly vent pipe coming out of that island and up into the ceiling. So, they just vent that island sink with an AAV.

Also, if you don't have a clean out on your kitchen sink, it'd be a good idea to install one on the drain piping now so that you can run a snake into the clean out WHILE running hot water into the new sink for lubrication. Otherwise you have to take your p-trap off to run the snake into the drain pipe, and that means you can't run water in that drain line except through the kitchen sink.

Check with the local plumbing inspector. I don't see why you can't use an AAV here. Just don't bury it so that you can't get to it if it sticks open. Maybe, stick it in behind an inset medicine cabinet, or just put a prefab access panel on the wall to access it if necessary.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 12-16-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Drain vents?

Thanks for the help guys!
Railz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drain vents?

I'd recommend an AAV as well. Much easier. They do have to be accessible though...Not buried in the wall.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote