Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #1

Share |

drain trap

I need to repair the main drain line below the basement. It is an 8" clay "P-trap" Do I have to replace the P-trap with another p-trap or can I just use a length of straight pipe?

kadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

drain trap

If all fixtures in the house have a p-trap attached to them, then a house trap is not needed.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

drain trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
If all fixtures in the house have a p-trap attached to them, then a house trap is not needed.

Also note : "I don't care who ya are, thats goin' to be disgustin' right thurr."
Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #4

drain trap

Thanks for the reply. I think the plumbing was done by the local 5th grade class. So maybe a main trap would be the way to go. Forgot, this house was once an orphanage. They had a dozen toilets in the basement once. the drains are still there in the ground, no traps on any of them. I tried to find a trap for 8 inches, no luck. Any suggestions?
kadgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #5
Doing it myself

drain trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadgar View Post
Thanks for the reply. I think the plumbing was done by the local 5th grade class. So maybe a main trap would be the way to go. Forgot, this house was once an orphanage. They had a dozen toilets in the basement once. the drains are still there in the ground, no traps on any of them. I tried to find a trap for 8 inches, no luck. Any suggestions?
You won't find any traps on those toilet lines, since traps for toilets are integrated into the bowl themselves.

If they are not currently being used for toilets, they should be capped in some manner if you are going to remove the 8" trap....
Old 06-05-2008, 08:19 AM   #6

drain trap

I have never quite understood the reasoning for "house traps" since they are usually on the sewer main side of the house plumbing. This would indicate that they are not vented and could have the water sucked out with any flow in the main sewer line. Toilets do not have a trap under them since it is built into the bowl. Double trapping is illegal in most Plumbing Codes.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #7
Doing it myself

drain trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
I have never quite understood the reasoning for "house traps" since they are usually on the sewer main side of the house plumbing. This would indicate that they are not vented and could have the water sucked out with any flow in the main sewer line.
Didn't they used to put a large end of line vent on those types of systems 'back in the day' ?
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM   #8

drain trap

That may be true. The few that I have seen were outside the foundation and no vent past them to make it work properly. Every Code I have worked under requires a trap for each fixture (including a washer drain) so in my mind, a House trap would constitute double trapping. In Ohio. to get a Plumbing Regulation changed (drainage type) they built a system in glass pipe. It was then tested 100 times and if there were no failures, the code was changed to allow it. When I first strated my apprenticeship, you could only run 20% of vent lines horizontal. After testing this, it was changed so the only requirement was proper slope and it had to exit through the roof.

Last edited by majakdragon; 06-05-2008 at 10:14 AM.
majakdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #9
Doing it myself

drain trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
That may be true. The few that I have seen were outside the foundation and no vent past them to make it work properly. Every Code I have worked under requires a trap for each fixture (including a washer drain) so in my mind, a House trap would constitute double trapping. In Ohio. to get a Plumbing Regulation changed (drainage type) they built a system in glass pipe. It was then tested 100 times and if there were no failures, the code was changed to allow it. When I first strated my apprenticeship, you could only run 20% of vent lines horizontal. After testing this, it was changed so the only requirement was proper slope and it had to exit through the roof.
Our code says that building traps are not permitted anyhow.