DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   drain system (

besunmoon 05-26-2008 06:10 PM

drain system
I am planning to build a outdooe kitchen with sink.

How to drain out the water? Need help to find the water drain system outside house. Please give me some suggestion.


Mike Swearingen 05-27-2008 12:32 AM

Are you on public sewer or a private septic system?
Do you have a bsement or crawlspace so that you can see the direction that your main drain pipe goes? (Not necessarily straight to the main sewer line or septic tank, but at indication of where to start probling.)
You will need a permit for plumbing work. Check with your Building Inspection Department.
If you're on a private septic system, there should be a rough sketch of your system on the original permit for it. Check with your Health Department.
You will need to drain the outdoor trap during freezing weather, which will allow sewer gas out, and you will need a way to shut-off and drain the supply lines to the sink.
Good Luck!

besunmoon 05-27-2008 12:59 AM

Thanks for reply. I don't have basement or crawlspace. Cannot see any sign or pipes for drain. Only see a pipe at front yard with a lid. Just bought this house, don't know how to get these information.

Mike Swearingen 05-27-2008 07:55 AM

If it's a screw-on "lid" with a square block on top, it is probably a clean-out access for your main drain line.
If the "lid" covers a valve down in a larger pipe, it probably is a shut-off valve on your main water supply line to your house.
Based on your questions, I would recommend hiring a plumber...(a) for their professional advice on how to do what you want done, and (b) for their expertise in getting it done and done right. Or get a plumbing book. Or call your Building Inspection Department (you have to anyway for permits and inspection)...maybe if the inspector is a nice person, he/she will tell you exactly what you need to do.
Good Luck!

besunmoon 05-27-2008 10:56 AM

Thanks, I believe this is the best way get this done.

Alan 05-27-2008 11:44 PM


Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen (Post 126045)
If it's a screw-on "lid" with a square block on top, it is probably a clean-out access for your main drain line.

This would actually be IDEAL! Especially if the clean-out is nearby to where he wants to build the kitchen. We've tapped into clean-out risers before, and perfectly legally passed code. Not sure how this would apply elsewhere as far as code requirements, but a 3x2 santee cut into the riser works great if there's enough room for it! As always, the advice of an inspector once you pull a permit is very helpful.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1