DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   drain question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/drain-question-170111/)

mikem201 01-25-2013 05:01 PM

drain question
 
This make sound like a dumb question but when my bathroom sinks drains I can hear a slight suctioning noise as it drains. Is this normal?

Bondo 01-25-2013 05:09 PM

Well,.... it ain't abnormal,... water rushin' past the over-flow will do that...

joecaption 01-25-2013 05:24 PM

May be a blocked up or lack of a proper vent.
I'd be more concerned if when a toilet or tub is drained if you hear it.
That could mean it was sucking the drain trap dry which would allow sewer gas in.

mikem201 01-25-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo (Post 1101989)
Well,.... it ain't abnormal,... water rushin' past the over-flow will do that...

I mean when the water drains from the sink you should hear some type of suctioning as its draining wouldn't you?

joecaption 01-25-2013 05:39 PM

Just look inside the drain when it's done. Is there still water left in it in the trap? If so then it's fine.

mikem201 01-25-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bondo (Post 1101989)
Well,.... it ain't abnormal,... water rushin' past the over-flow will do that...

Whats your opinion on venting 2nd story fixtures? Do you think running a separate stack for them is better or re-venting the first floor fixtures to reach above the 2nd floor?

TheEplumber 01-25-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikem201 (Post 1102026)
Whats your opinion on venting 2nd story fixtures? Do you think running a separate stack for them is better or re-venting the first floor fixtures to reach above the 2nd floor?

Whats your obsession with 2 story vents? If the first floor vents are done correctly, 2nd floor vents will have no impact- vice- versa.
Each fixture needs to be vented and there are several acceptable ways to do that.

mikem201 01-25-2013 06:07 PM

No impact? So, your saying thats its perfectly fine to just vent 2nd story fixtures through the main stack so then the first story fixtures are wet vented??

TheEplumber 01-25-2013 06:20 PM

My code(UPC) does not allow multiple floor wet venting. As I stated- If the first floor vents are done correctly
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1102038)
Whats your obsession with 2 story vents? If the first floor vents are done correctly, 2nd floor vents will have no impact- vice- versa.
Each fixture needs to be vented and there are several acceptable ways to do that.


Javiles 01-25-2013 06:27 PM

Another vent issue post, the first thing is that DIY'ers need to understand what a wet vent really is /wet vent /wet bend /waste and vent combinations /etc, lets get the wheels rolling?

1. i have a three story home can i use one vent from the first set of fixture on the first floor to the third set of fixture on the third floor.?

if yes explain if no explain this will be the new DIY learning form plumbing 101:jester:

mikem201 01-25-2013 06:33 PM

Any floor above that has fixtures the floor below needs to re-vent to at least 6'' above the second floor fixtures or have its own stack. I am by no means an expert but that is what I was told. If a second floor has its own stack is it only a vent stack or is it a complete stack that runs from roof and down to the basement where it ties into the main?

Javiles 01-25-2013 06:36 PM

Just wait til the guys start posting youll learn a bit more. were not talking about reventing diff, subject iam talking about a direct vent. one vent three bathrooms.

TheEplumber 01-25-2013 06:45 PM

Why don't we complicate this and add a sub drain with an ejector..... what do we do with the pump vent and the fixture vents?

Javiles 01-25-2013 06:50 PM

no no E lets get them to walk before they can run.:huh:
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheEplumber (Post 1102093)
Why don't we complicate this and add a sub drain with an ejector..... what do we do with the pump vent and the fixture vents?


TheEplumber 01-25-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javiles (Post 1102098)
no no E lets get them to walk before they can run.:huh:

Roger that:laughing:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved