Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
JOATMON

Share |

Drain Placement in Shower?

I'm starting on the shower now in the master bathroom....

If you look on the floor, you will see a toilet flange (it's a place holder only) in about the position we would 'like' to put the drain....the shower head is going to be above it and slightly to the left.....(corner where the walls meet....

I'm assming that won't be any issues? I know I have to slope the floor to that point...

Just want to make sure before I start cutting holes.

My
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

It's not really an issue, but your tile work will be simpler if the drain is centered in the shower.

Other than that you should be fine.
oh'mike (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It's not really an issue, but your tile work will be simpler if the drain is centered in the shower.
That was a topic of discussion between the wife and I.....but since she is the one doing the tile.....she gets it where she wants....

My
and
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #4

Where's the shower control valve going to be? If it's on an outside wall there's no way to have an access panel.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
DIY staff

You want the wall tile line level----which will make the pitch rather steep in the area near the drain and wall----

More centered will be easier to tile---but you can make that layout work if you use rather small tiles on the floor.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Where's the shower control valve going to be? If it's on an outside wall there's no way to have an access panel.
I had not thought of that......crap.......

And as you have most likely figured out....I'm doing tempered glass on top of those 'short' walls.....so, no where on those walls for the control valve.....

So....what do you guys do when there is not rear access?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
You want the wall tile line level----which will make the pitch rather steep in the area near the drain and wall----

More centered will be easier to tile---but you can make that layout work if you use rather small tiles on the floor.
My wife has her eye on that tile that looks like pebbles....

On the tile line....my wife will just set it down to the lowest point and cut the others as necessary.......yep....she knows how to use a tile saw...

And.....here I thought I was posting a stupid question......

My
and
Old 08-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
DIY staff

A word about 'pebble' tile on the shower floor---

Most people hate it---they are soap skim traps--the random shapes make for uneven drainage and loads of 'valleys that trap scum--which becomes moldy.

If you are going to do it---use epoxy grout---the scum will still happen but the grout itself will not get moldy.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
A word about 'pebble' tile on the shower floor---

Most people hate it---they are soap skim traps--the random shapes make for uneven drainage and loads of 'valleys that trap scum--which becomes moldy.

If you are going to do it---use epoxy grout---the scum will still happen but the grout itself will not get moldy.
Now that you have answered my next question before I asked it....

I really don't like the look of the pebble tile....this might be the ammo I need to get my wife to pick something else...

My
and
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
DIY staff

Look at some of the old posts about that--Bud Cline mentioned that he had a customer ask him to rip out the recent pebble floor and replace it with something easier to keep clean
Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #10

I just hate it when some of the silly DIY shows things like pebble tile and stacked stone showers.
They just do not work out in real life.
They feel horrible on you feet and are near impossible to clean. And talk about a grouting and water proofing nightmare.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (08-12-2012), oh'mike (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I just hate it when some of the silly DIY shows things like pebble tile and stacked stone showers.
They just do not work out in real life.
They feel horrible on you feet and are near impossible to clean. And talk about a grouting and water proofing nightmare.
My wife actually has a 4 year degree in interior design....and typically watches the DIY shows for examples of 'what not to do'......

With that said....she has never actually used the pebble stone...but considering the odd shape of the shower.....she thought it might be a good solution.....

Looks like we have more work to do..

Other topic....what am I going to do about my control valve? Do I shop for one that has a large plate in front of it that can be removed?

My
and
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #12
DIY staff

If you buy a high quality brand--they will last longer that you---and repairs can be done from the cover plate--so don't worry about future access.

Do your best work on the plumbing---add a stub out to the shower spout --test the work before closing the wall---check again after you instal the rock,but before you tile---just in case you hit a pipe with a screw---

Then forget about it---
Old 08-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #13
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

A note about location of the shower valve :

How high are your 1/2 walls?

You could always mount the valve as high as possible at the entrance, and run the shower head line around the corner to wherever you want it.

Heck you could even run it below the floor and up into the other wall. I have done this a few times.

Besides : By plumbing code, you're actually supposed to have it located where the water can't hit you when you're turning it on.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #14
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
A note about location of the shower valve :

How high are your 1/2 walls?

You could always mount the valve as high as possible at the entrance, and run the shower head line around the corner to wherever you want it.

Heck you could even run it below the floor and up into the other wall. I have done this a few times.

Besides : By plumbing code, you're actually supposed to have it located where the water can't hit you when you're turning it on.
We thought about that....that wall is about 38" high....in our 'testing' (pretending to reach for the valve with a glass of wine in the other hand), it did not feel right.....

Originally, the plan was to put it under the window....with the head over to the right where the walls meet.....the head will most likely be one of those rain shower types....big ol' round thing that aims straight down....my wife is English and wants to keep some of the 'style' from her country....minus the cold temps....

My
and
Old 08-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #15
call me E

Allen brings up a good point- how are you going to turn your valve on without getting blasted by initial cold water?
As for access panels- I wouldn't give it another thought- install a high quality valve and workmanship, no worries.