DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drain Pipes, Walls and Studs

11K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  budgobbel 
#1 ·
First time poster:

I have a question regarding how to resolve a plumbing and wall stud problem in my basement. I have 1.5" pipes (two in one wall, one in another) that are running behind or through 2x6 walls for drainage as well as water from our well. The previous owner cut out the back of the studs so the pipes can be run behind the framing walls.

The first issue is the pipes weren't insulated, so condensation from one set of pipes was causing mold buildup in the wall insulation and drywall. That problem is resolved easily enough with pipe insulation.

The really big issue is stud placement to work around the drain and water/well pump lines.

What is the best way to deal with pipes of that size in combination with wall studs? Do you simply move the walls forward to allow the pipes to run behind next to the block walls? It's an awkward place to try and put a soffit, but is that a general best practice? Do you cut the vertical studs to allow the pipes to run behind (or through)?

I haven't seen any issues like this anywhere. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
First time poster:

I have a question regarding how to resolve a plumbing and wall stud problem in my basement. I have 1.5" pipes (two in one wall, one in another) that are running behind or through 2x6 walls for drainage as well as water from our well. The previous owner cut out the back of the studs so the pipes can be run behind the framing walls.

The first issue is the pipes weren't insulated, so condensation from one set of pipes was causing mold buildup in the wall insulation and drywall. That problem is resolved easily enough with pipe insulation.

The really big issue is stud placement to work around the drain and water/well pump lines.

What is the best way to deal with pipes of that size in combination with wall studs? Do you simply move the walls forward to allow the pipes to run behind next to the block walls? It's an awkward place to try and put a soffit, but is that a general best practice? Do you cut the vertical studs to allow the pipes to run behind (or through)?

I haven't seen any issues like this anywhere. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I guess I'm replying in the correct section.... I have a similar problem. I am moving a sink from one side of the room to the other. My bathroom wall where the drain pipe will run is shared with the garage. I don't know if it is load-bearing (I'm going to assume it is). I have two options, as I see it: 1-add a stud on either side of the existing studs I plan to cut (to run the drain pipes through), or, 2-push the drain pipe through the wall, run along the garage wall (build a cosmetic build-out), and back in where the floor drain is.

I think option 1 is better, but more work. You have to add studs to replace the strength that was removed. Three studs (with 1.5" removed) should equate to a 1.5 X 6, or very close. With the addition of a steel plate secured in front of the cut(s), I should be able to maintain the structural integrity. I don't know the code, but I will ask. I have seen this practice before, and I think I'm on the right track.

I see your post is from 2006. What did you end up doing?
-Bud

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.