Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #1

Share |

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

I just completed a 10 month home rennovation.....or so I thought. All the plumbing in the house was working fine until I hooked up the washing machine. I live in a one level house with a confined crawl space. My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Anyways my toilet barely flushes now and any time I do laundry of have 2 or more things going the toilet has a horrible gurgling and bubbling sound! What could be the problem causing this and can it be fixed?
Thanks

jeepdogsfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

Sounds like you have a restriction in the main drain or not enough vent.

If you have done a remodel could some of the debri gone down the drain?

I would have it snaked to start, If it goes to a clay tile drain it could have started to collapse or tree roots

Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
KemoSabe

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdogsfishing View Post
I just completed a 10 month home rennovation.....or so I thought. All the plumbing in the house was working fine until I hooked up the washing machine. I live in a one level house with a confined crawl space. My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Anyways my toilet barely flushes now and any time I do laundry of have 2 or more things going the toilet has a horrible gurgling and bubbling sound! What could be the problem causing this and can it be fixed?
Thanks
The ventline needs to be behind the water, not in front of it. It's gurgling to exchange air for water. Install an inline vent with a backflow preventer at the furthest possible point behind the water entering the drainline, it should help.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 PM   #4

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

It has what I believe to be ceramic tile al the way to the street this house was built in 1890's. I also don't have a S bend or whatever it's called so the smell does come up in the drain line in the laundry room, ...would putting in the bend stop the gurgling throughout the rest of the house?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #5
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
The ventline needs to be behind the water, not in front of it. It's gurgling to exchange air for water. Install an inline vent with a backflow preventer at the furthest possible point behind the water entering the drainline, it should help.

What code are you using?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 PM   #6
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

My wasteline for my shower, vanity, and washing machine all connect to the ceramic waste line directly under the toilet. Which is right next to the exterior wall of the house. The wasteline then travel under the foundation where I think It has a "ventline" that goes toward the roof, but ends just before it gets there.

Ok if your shower 2", Washer 2" and vanity 1 1/2" all connect to the main drain and there is a vent that terminates to the outside you should be fine.

When you drain the washer does the water level in the toilet go down?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #7

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

After it bubbles and gurgles for a little bit the water in the toilet goes down, it is almost completely empty by the time my washer is done running
Old 03-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #8
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

But do you have a vent venting the sink and shower and washer? and if so what size is it
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
HVAC / Plumbing

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber101 View Post
But do you have a vent venting the sink and shower and washer? and if so what size is it

You are on it. That was what I was going to ask.... Vent size. May have everything vented with a small dia..vent
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #10

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

if you were to follow the piping in the house from the furthest point it would be in the laundry room were there isn't a vent or a trap then it continues 20 feet to were the vanity is follow by the shower which both have traps then ties in directly under the toilet to ceramic basin the only vent is after that on the exterior of the house coming out of the ground and is about 12 feet in the air a ttached to the siding.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #11

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

the vent on the exterior of the house is about 3inches in diameter but is that to late in the system to be effective do I need one earlier on
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #12
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

What size pipe did you use to vent the fixtures?

3" on outside more than likely your common vent for the house

I'm thinking that all this is draining into a 4" clay and needs to a 2" vent might get away with 1 1/2 but I'd go 2"

Total dfu 8

Last edited by Plumber101; 03-27-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #13

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

The washer the shower and the vanity don't .

the washer is the furthest 20 feet or more away then the vanity shower are about 2 feet apart foolowed by the toilet were would be an ideal location to put in a vent so that it wouldn't smell up the underside of my house?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

What size pipe did you use to vent the fixtures? (Shower, washer, vanity)

OR what size pipe is used to connect to the vent stack?

The thing that I am hung up on is that every thing was fine until lately.

I still think that you have a restricted drain. You know like when someone should have doubled flushed for that big burrito.

If you have a plunger take it and put it into the toilet and with short strokes push/pull some times these will knock it loose. The plungers with the horn on the end works better than the regular plunger.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM   #15

Drain Pipes are Gurgling

i had never done laundry at this house before until after I remodeled it so it could have been messed up before and i wouldn't have known but as far as i know nothing is vented and the washing machine doesn't have a trap does the washing machine need a trap and does everything need to be vented or can i just vent the main pipe somewhere in the middle ?
so were do i need to install one at and will it make the underside of my house smell or do I have to tie it into the main vent that is attached to the side of my house?