Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #1

Share |

Drain pipe sticks out beyond wall plane....

Ok, this is hard to explain without a picture...maybe I'll go take one.

My waste stack, in the washroom I am renovating, sticks out further than the studs. IE, I don't know how I can get drywall flush. The wall used to be drywall backed plaster and i didn't notice anything special when I demo'd. HOweer, now, I notice that the stack basically doesn't seem to run vertically plumb, or the wall isn't. At the top half of the wall, I can put drywall flush to the studs...on the bottom half, I can't because of the pipe. NOw, I can't really easily fix the drain stack, much more comlicated than I'd like or can probably handle myself. THe wall is an exterior wall so I can't easily fix the wall..... I've thought about double layering the drywall.... that way I can leave the first layer out where the pipe is and kind of create a spacer that way. Seems a waste, but works ok given that the plaster wall used to be thicker anyhow than 1/2" and the window jamb sticks out further than 1/2" anyhow which would be a different problem. Any other suggestions?

THanks in advance for any help!

CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #2

I think you are on the right track, the old button board for plaster was 1/2" Then add the layers of plaster, as you see is more then 1/2"

Is very often we will double up the drywall to fill in a patch.
I also found to make up a bucket of structolite and 45 min hot mud, can apply it so thick with a plaster trowel you can bury a cat in it.

but double up on the drywall sounds like a good choice for you.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #3

Just shim out the wall. Ripped 1/2 OSB, 1/2 sheetrock, ripped baseboard any thing will work.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4

good point Joe,
I was assuming was already 1 layer of sheet rock on, shimming it out is also a good way and just use 1 layer.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #5

Well, I had originally thought about shimming, but since it's an exterior wall, I was worried about creating an air gap. The insulation wouldn't have quite fit, so I thought I shouldn't go that route... now the insulation is in and the vapour barrier on. Again I thought about shimming now, but again, isn't an air gap not a great idea?

Thanks for the help guys
CharlieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieR View Post
Well, I had originally thought about shimming, but since it's an exterior wall, I was worried about creating an air gap. The insulation wouldn't have quite fit, so I thought I shouldn't go that route... now the insulation is in and the vapour barrier on. Again I thought about shimming now, but again, isn't an air gap not a great idea?

Thanks for the help guys

if the wall is not to big just double up the drywall and you can shave a tiny bit out of the backside of the 2nd piece of drywall around the pipe protrusion and use mesh tape and mud if the area is compromised to much from shaving the back.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote