Drain Pipe Leak - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
AGF

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Drain Pipe Leak

The ABS drain pipe that leads from the kitchen sink through to the basement has 2 vertical cracks in them which I'm guessing has been caused by the drastic change in temperature and lack of proper insulation from the previous owner. I've temorarily put water proof tape that runs vertically on the crack along with some support tape running horizontally to help keep the pipe together. As this may be my first attempt to do the repairs myself and am by no means a plumbing expert, I'm wondering what the best course of action will be to replace these two pipes and the elbow that attaches them both. The white residue on the upper pipe shows where the crack is in the middle of that pipe. See pictures for additional details. Any suggestions on how to fix or how I can reduce the cost from an expensive plumber would be helpful. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Drain Pipe Leak-vertical-pipe.jpg   Drain Pipe Leak-pipes-connected-elbow.jpg  

Advertisement

AGF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Drain Pipe Leak

Ayuh,... It looks like it might a Froze, 'n split...
Anyways,...
Just cut it off at either end, 'n glue in new pieces from a boxstore, pretty much exactly as it is Now...

Totally replace whatever ya cut out with New, tubing, 'n fittings...

Glue, primer, a saw, 'n sandpaper should be about All ya need toolwise...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Drain Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGF
The ABS drain pipe that leads from the kitchen sink through to the basement has 2 vertical cracks in them which I'm guessing has been caused by the drastic change in temperature and lack of proper insulation from the previous owner. I've temorarily put water proof tape that runs vertically on the crack along with some support tape running horizontally to help keep the pipe together. As this may be my first attempt to do the repairs myself and am by no means a plumbing expert, I'm wondering what the best course of action will be to replace these two pipes and the elbow that attaches them both. The white residue on the upper pipe shows where the crack is in the middle of that pipe. See pictures for additional details. Any suggestions on how to fix or how I can reduce the cost from an expensive plumber would be helpful. Thanks!
Be sure not to redo it in ABS. Try it in PVC and use fernco style couplings to attach to the abs. Doubt it split from cold unless u have a stoppage there shouldn't be any expansion from cold. It's just an unfortunate side effect of abs pipe. Its very weak. Hot water will warp it.
RooterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,654

Drain Pipe Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooterRuss View Post
Be sure not to redo it in ABS. Try it in PVC and use fernco style couplings to attach to the abs. Doubt it split from cold unless u have a stoppage there shouldn't be any expansion from cold. It's just an unfortunate side effect of abs pipe. Its very weak. Hot water will warp it.
Why do you say its very weak?
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Drain Pipe Leak

I had a feeling someone might disagree with me on this. Just hold abs in one hand and PVC in another. Properly hung abs still sags, the weight of the ground ovals the pipe and causes a crack on the bottom. I don't like it, I don't use it. In fact it makes me a lot of money. U may not be disagreeing with me I just know some people like it, I just don't understand why
RooterRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:58 PM   #6

Drain Pipe Leak

This looks like a 3" or 4" line that probably receives more than just the sinks. Is it a vent line also? If it's not supported properly(strapped) and this vents thru the roof, the weight could put to much torque at those bends. Any impact to the unprotected pipe coiuld cause the fracture. i agree with the other gentleman that the pipe should not hold water to freeze. Make sure that line is clear before you continue.

Advertisement

diggerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abs , drain line , leaking pipe