Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
jho

Share |

Drain pipe cap removal

I'm finishing the bar in my basement, and the previous owner has the drain pipe that comes out of the wall capped off. The cap is threaded on and it is not budging when I wrench on it. I'm using two pipe wrenches, one to stabilize the pipe and the other to wrench on the cap. I used all my might, and it's not budging one bit. Do any of you have any suggestions of what I can do to get this cap off? Can I heat it up? I'm afraid to knock it with a hammer, I'm thinking that might possibly mess up the threads. I'm all ears. Here are some pics so you can see what I'm dealing with. The pipe is 1-1/2 diameter galvanized, if that helps any.

And here's a picture of my bar, for shats and gaggles. I just finished the addition off to the left last night, took me 4 hours to build that.

jho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Drain pipe cap removal

how much access to the fitting inside the wall do you have? If it's a screw fitting and not leaded, you might have an easier time unthreading the whole nipple and then using a MIP X FEMALE SOLVENT ABS ADAPTER.

Besides, it's better to eliminate as much galvanized as you can before it rots out, and breaks off at the threads.

If you can't get it that way it looks like you might need a couple of bigger wrenches..... a pair of 14" pipe wrenches might do it, but i'd go bigger just for good measure.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
jho

Drain pipe cap removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
how much access to the fitting inside the wall do you have? If it's a screw fitting and not leaded, you might have an easier time unthreading the whole nipple and then using a MIP X FEMALE SOLVENT ABS ADAPTER.

Besides, it's better to eliminate as much galvanized as you can before it rots out, and breaks off at the threads.

If you can't get it that way it looks like you might need a couple of bigger wrenches..... a pair of 14" pipe wrenches might do it, but i'd go bigger just for good measure.
Sorry Alan, I should have specified that I haven't had much experience with plumbing, so I don't know much of the lingo. I'm not too sure what an MIP X FEMALE SOLVENT ABS ADAPTER is? I googled it, and I'm thinking this is kind of what you're talking about:

If that is what you're referring to, that is the direction I plan to take, converting over to PVC. I'm including a picture of the pipe coming out of the wall. Might give you a better understanding of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the help, too, btw.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Drain pipe cap removal

You're close. That's an FIP X FEMALE SOLVENT ADAPTER

You want male threads on it so that it will thread into the fitting.... The fitting is threaded, right? Check that first before you try tweaking the nipple, because you don't want to mess up the lead joint...
Old 05-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #5

Drain pipe cap removal

Use 2 bigger pipe wrenches, get rid of the channel locks you can not get enough grip with the channels.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
jho

Drain pipe cap removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Use 2 bigger pipe wrenches, get rid of the channel locks you can not get enough grip with the channels.
Would you recommend I use a torch to heat it up in case it's rusted on? That's what my friends are recommending, but I don't think they're "qualified" to give me that kind of advice.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #7

Drain pipe cap removal

I would try heating it and if that didn't work I would cut it off with a hack saw and use fernco fittings purchased at HD or Ls.

They are rubber with clamps in case you didn't know.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
jho

Drain pipe cap removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
I would try heating it and if that didn't work I would cut it off with a hack saw and use fernco fittings purchased at HD or Ls.

They are rubber with clamps in case you didn't know.
Ah perfect! Yeah, if I can't get that off, then I'll just take that route.

Is that ok for joining the galvanized with PVC piping, too?
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #9

Drain pipe cap removal

Think so not sure.. if it's the same diameter shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe someone else knows for sure.

If it was mine I would do it if I couldn't get the cap off.

OH OH just thought of something if you hack saw it off and you can't connect to PVC you can buy a small nipple same size cut the threads off 1 end and clamp the nipple then buy a PVC female to glue fitting for the other end then run your PVC out from there.. but I think you can just clamp the PVC.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:08 PM   #10

Drain pipe cap removal

You allways need 2 pipe wrenches.Using one and a channel lock ain't gonna cut it.People will talk about you,at your own bar while your serving them.
bluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
Civil Engineer

Drain pipe cap removal

That galvanized fitting looks like it is in pretty good shape, should come off with a pair of pipe wrenches, but for good measure you can add a persuader to the pipe wrench you are using to remove the fitting. My persuader is a 3 foot long steel pipe that fits over the wrench handle, if you can't remove it with that, there is no hope.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #12

Drain pipe cap removal

Failing getting the cap off, hacksaw it off (a recip. saw with a metal blade will make short work of it) and join PVC using the Fernco hubless coupler mentioned above.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
jho

Drain pipe cap removal

Can I take a grinder to the pipe rather than using a hacksaw, if it comes down to needing to hack it off, that is? Just curious
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #14

Drain pipe cap removal

Jho,
Borrow another big pipe wrench and show that pipe who's boss. Give it a shot of penetrating oil on the threads. Don't let that pipe get the better of you.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
jho

Drain pipe cap removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Jho,
Borrow another big pipe wrench and show that pipe who's boss. Give it a shot of penetrating oil on the threads. Don't let that pipe get the better of you.
Mike Hawkins
haha thanks Mike for the encouragement. I'm heading down to give it a shot. I returned the channel locks to get an 18" wrench. I'm going to give it another shot. Thanks guys! I'll let you know how it goes