Drain Issue Please Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Drain issue Please Help

The main drain/sewer in my basement keeps backing up. I have wasted money on plumbers to come out and unclog it and they do. I'm finally going to have a camera put down there to see what the problem is. I know for a fact that it is not tree roots b/c the snake only pulls out toilet paper. I know that this is going to be something that is going to be dug up. How much does this cost to fix? And if if is something that has to be done outside I know my drive way will have to be dug up also. If that does happen will the plumber have my driver way fixed or will I have to fix it myself? PLEASE HELP ME!!

Advertisement

pink06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Drain issue Please Help

If you have tree roots in there the toilet paper and sewage would stop up against them. Therefore the TP would be the first thing a snake would pull out. The camera should help identify this issue if it is roots or otherwise.

Most plumbers I've met aren't pavers. Get an all around worst case quote before anyone digs. And know who charges what for their services. If the plumber hires the paver there will likely be an upcharge to you. Don't go in blind.

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Drain issue Please Help

It is quite possible that the rooter guy didn't go far enough with the snake. Sometimes they get the thing to start draining and quit. If possible, they should go all the way to the city connection. The camera will be a great help though. Hopefully, you won't have to replace the entire line.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Drain issue Please Help

The plumber said it's not tree roots because they didn't pull any of that out. They said it could be buildup or where the 4 inch and 6 inch meet that could have shifted and the stuff is getting caught on it. If I have to replace the pipe will that be expensive?
pink06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Drain issue Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink06 View Post
The main drain/sewer in my basement keeps backing up. I have wasted money on plumbers to come out and unclog it and they do. I'm finally going to have a camera put down there to see what the problem is. I know for a fact that it is not tree roots b/c the snake only pulls out toilet paper. I know that this is going to be something that is going to be dug up. How much does this cost to fix? And if if is something that has to be done outside I know my drive way will have to be dug up also. If that does happen will the plumber have my driver way fixed or will I have to fix it myself? PLEASE HELP ME!!
Plumbers are not going to fix your driveway unless they are paid to do it, but why would you expect a plumber to fix a driveway, your concrete guy doesn't fix plumbing does he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink06 View Post
The plumber said it's not tree roots because they didn't pull any of that out. They said it could be buildup or where the 4 inch and 6 inch meet that could have shifted and the stuff is getting caught on it. If I have to replace the pipe will that be expensive?
It depends on what you consider expensive, but you have not given enough information to even guess how much it would be.

What material is the drain line made of, how long is it, how deep is it, how much of the driveway needs to be cut?
bwalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Drain issue Please Help

Once you get the camera work done you'll be better suited to determine a solution. If it is a section where 4" to 6" has shifted, you may just need to repair that area only.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drain issue Please Help

If no roots are being pulled out, it is probably a break in the line. When this happens, the junction of the break sinks (from water seepage) and causes a "trap" situation that slows the flow of water and solids, including toilet paper. Not going to be a cheap repair. You will need to hire someone to fix the drive. A camera should be able to locate the problem area.

Advertisement