Drain For Humidifier In Crawl Space - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

Drain for humidifier in crawl space

Let me just ask what the best way to provide drainage for a humidifier on a furnace in a crawl space would be. What I have now is just plain not working. Horizontally, I have about 10 feet or a little more to the stack and vertically I have a few inches, don't know exactly but it's not much.

The current configuration for the humidifier is shown in this picture, there have been changes but not to the humidifier. For some reason, water is not flowing through the pipe that goes into the trap. I just don't like the setup, this particular pipe isn't secured on either end and just held up with a strap in the middle - that's it.
Attached Thumbnails
Drain for humidifier in crawl space-100_2602_labels.jpg  

Advertisement

WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

If gravity won't do the job, you will have to get a pump. I have a condensate pump that my dehumidifier dumps into. I know you have had several problems, cause I have seen that picture in several posts. So be sure your main sewer and drains are working properly, or a pump will not do any good. Maybe you don't need a pump if the sewer was draining properly? Man I am all over the place. Good Luck

Advertisement

broox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
I ask the impossible!

Rewards Points: 508

It's definitely the pipe, water is backing out of the top. Downstream problems in the sewer pipe would be apparent with other systems, when it has been blocked there has been gurgling in the bathtub, plus it would be backflowing out of the pipe above the p-trap.

Would I connect directly to the humidifier drain or do I need the humidifier to drain into some sort of reservoir or drip pan? Is something like a dehumidifier pump kit going to work, and anyone have experience good or bad with any particular pumps? A search for condensate pumps at Home Depot produced a Flotec pump which many reviews said failed between 1 year and 2 minutes.
WillK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

A condensate pump has its own little reservoir. So dump the drain from the humidifier in the pump. Then get some clear tubing and run it to the trap. I also might lengthen the standpipe or the vertical pipe out of the trap. From the picture it looks very short.
broox is offline   Reply With Quote