Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Drain For Garage Sink & Standing Pipe

I am in the process of installing a sink in my garage and I will be trying the drain into the 3 vertical drain that services a toilet, tub and sink in the bathroom above. There was a standing pipe connected to the 3 vertical drain via a 3x3x2 santee which I will use to connect the new sink and a standing pipe. Because there is no practical way to connect into an existing vent or run a new vent I will use a Studor Mini-Vent.

Does anyone here see any code conflicts for the components and arrangement I propose?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and consider my questions.

Fire4Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

I don't see any immediate concerns with the way you've laid it out or the use of an AAV, unless your local codes specifically prohibit them. One note it to make sure that the vent is above the flood rim of your laundry sink, usually 6" or more.

VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
I don't see any immediate concerns with the way you've laid it out or the use of an AAV, unless your local codes specifically prohibit them. One note it to make sure that the vent is above the flood rim of your laundry sink, usually 6" or more.
I looks like it will work OK , but I'm not sure an inspector would be OK with the laundry drain and sink drain sharing a trap arm.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
The Studor installation sheet states the vent only has to be located a minimum of 4 above the weir of the fixture trap and can be located below the flood rim.

I am in California and just learned I will not be permitted to wet vent the 2" drain for the standpipe. I also got my hands on a copy of the chapter on venting from the California plumbing code and it says I cannot run the vent pipe horizontal until I am 6 above the flood-level rim of the fixture served. Sounds like my only option is to install separate Studor vents for each P-Trap. NOTE: All drainpipes will be exposed within the garage (not inside the stud bays) and the stud bays will be sheathed with 3/8 structural sheathing and 5/8 fire code drywall to maintain fire rating between my garage and the adjoining townhouse garage.

Below is my revised plan. I will place both Studor vents as high as possible under the sink.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
I looks like it will work OK , but I'm not sure an inspector would be OK with the laundry drain and sink drain sharing a trap arm.
I am trying to get a consultation with a County Inspector. My inspector is out on medical leave and half of the office is out on training and Friday is a furlough day. Hopefully I can get an answer before next Monday.

Last edited by Fire4Effect; 09-29-2011 at 09:59 AM.