Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Share |

Drain for Coffee Machine

Anyone,

I have an espresso machine that has a drip tray that I created a drain for using 3/8" flexible clear tubing. It runs out of the bottom of the tray, back about a foot to the back of the counter, down through a hole in the counter to the floor behind the cabinets, along the floor to the sink, then up a couple of feet to a Y connector that feeds into the garbage disposal along with the dishwasher drain. I have also tried running horizontal just under the countertop and then dropping into the Y. Here is a photo. The two routes are represented by the green and red lines.

The problem is that i does not drain. I can get it to go if I manipulate the tubing a lot or start the siphon with a plunger, but it will not go on its own. The drip tray is definitely higher than the endpoint at the garbage disposal, so I thought it would drain. Is there something I am missing? Do I need some kind of vent? How would I do that? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
T

TCStuckey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Drain for Coffee Machine

Is that how the owners manual said to hook it up? Do you really want to connect that machine directly to your sanitary drain line?
Health risks aside, it won't drain because you have less than 2ft of fall(with a big belly in it) which equates to less then 1 lb. pressure, plus its not vented. Might add that it's undersized as well.
All in all, not good...
Your better off plugging the hole and dumping the tray by hand.
Just my 2 cents

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #3

Drain for Coffee Machine

IMHO I dont think 3/8 tubing is large enough to work as a drain.
southernkilowat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #4

Drain for Coffee Machine

Two issues, water does not run up hill and sewer gases will be able to come out the drain without a trap in the line.
May need something like this.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=under+sink+pump
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #5

Drain for Coffee Machine

It drains directly into the garbage disposal right under the sink drain. How would sewer gases go through that line but not out the sink drain? The P-trap is after the disposal. Am I missing something?

As for sanitation, it's the waste tray where old coffee and dumped water goes. Essentially it is a sink under the dispenser, so I thought that going into the garbage disposal was logical.

So, the drain won't flow because e line is small and there is less than 2 ft. of fall? So the weight of the water is not enough to overcome the up slope? Would it work if the green path in the pic above was used with no upswing at any point? Would a vent still be needed? Any suggestions on doing that?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #6

Drain for Coffee Machine

there will be no sewer gases as you are connecting above the trap.

If you are desperate to do it with the small line you might want to try spending $30 for an air conditioning condensate pump that you could mount (illegally) under your counter.

I would try moving the machine closer to the sink and using a rigid line mounted on a block underneath the back side of the countertop with a 1/2" or so pitch per foot.

You could use rigid copper and then connect to your flex at the drop point. That may work but like someone else says, you don't have enough pressure o overcome the resistance in the flex tubing.
fred54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #7
bbo

Drain for Coffee Machine

Seems to me emptying the tray would be more sanitary. putting that line in would make me lazier and not properly clean the tray as often as it should be cleaned. seems like a germ trap to me.

Even something like that in a restaurant settings would be cleaned at least daily in any reputable business.

that said, the line is too small and not enough drop. To make it large enough and a big enough drop seems like it would need more waste than a home use coffeemaker would typically generate.

you could try larger ID tubing first. I don't know how you would get more overall drop. I would prefer the drop as close to the coffeemaker as possible. less line with gunk caked in it to get smell coming back up.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

Drain for Coffee Machine

The pipe needs to be at least 3/4" with no trap in it and it needs to terminate with an air gap or air break at its termination point.
What happens if your kitchen sink backs up? Where will that bacteria go?

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Drain for Coffee Machine

I guess I just thought of it like a sink pipe or ice maker drain. I do flush the line regularly with cleansers. Thanks for the help, Guys!