Drain Clogged AGAIN. Help.... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Drain clogged AGAIN. Help....

Ok, so my main stack is backed up again. Third time in 18 months. Last time, July I think, I rented a big auger and cleared it. I then treated it every 2 months with root killer. It backed up again today. I"m using a hose at the main cleanout to fill the stack to see how long it takes to back up and its fairly long so I'm guessing the backup is not far from the sewer. Its blizzarding and 20 degrees. This can't be roots that keeps backing this thing up can it? I can rent the auger again -ANOTHER $60, but how can I make sure this doesn't keep happening?

Advertisement

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Eibwen

If you have a partial blockage and low slope on the pipe along with 20 degree temps it could be icing at the block or anywhere else along the line. Some warmer water may help if thats the case.

If not, I would aguer again and call in t8rd cam for a look see.

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Long-Time DIYer

J187,
Sounds like you have a root problem in a sectional underground sewer/septic main drain line, based on your description and timing. Once those get roots in them, you can roto-rooter them out, but they will grow back with 18 to 24 months, and you'll be doing it again (as you are).
The only permanent solution is to replace the old defective sectional main drain line with "glued" plastic line (white PVC or black ABS, if allowed by local code) that won't ever allow roots in again unless the line somehow gets broken.
Your best bet might be to do the video cam as Sammy suggested first to see what you're dealing with. You may be able to get by with just replacing a short section instead of the whole thing.
Good luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks. I can't imagine how much it would cost to dig that up and replace it however... I'm not even sure I can afford the video Cam....I guess I'll just rent the auger for now.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

If you roto-rooter the roots out, it should last you about another year-and-a-half again. Always your call.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
They're all fixer-uppers

Thats why I'm so confused mike. I did rooter them just a few months ago - July maybe? With the big 3/4 auger. Got it nice and clean we ran a hose down the cleanout for a half hour with no backup... then used root killer routinely. Now this...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Could be a crack/break in the line somewhere. Roots got in from the top and helped expand it, but the added rootkiller chemicals never came in contact with them.
The problem now could be ice buildup if the drain is above the frost line.
Just a guess.

-I once lived in a lakefront house (built on backfill) where the sump-pump drain on the side of the house blew out in the middle of winter. Pump was running continuously before. I rigged up an above-ground drain (with a good slope) as a temporary fix.
-The next spring I found two things:
1.) The pipe was close to the surface, and had a dip in the center which had frozen. There was no insulation anywhere on the pipe.
2) Whoever installed the PVC didn't glue a section, so there was a 5 foot long tubular mass of roots growing into it. The nearest tree was 40-50 feet away.

Advertisement

Stillwerkin is offline   Reply With Quote