Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2010, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Draft from my basement floor drain?

does anyone have any idea what could cause this? is it normal under any circumstance?

thanks!

baby12121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

If you are getting a draft from the floor drain, then there is either A ) no p-trap, or B ) p-trap is dried up due to no trap primer.

Look inside with a flashlight to see if you see any standing water. If not, try dumping some water into it, (a quart or so) then look inside with a flashlight again to see if the water is staying. If it's not, then there is no trap, and you just have an open pipe to the air.

Do you know if it drains to the sewer, or just to storm drainage? What is the floor drain used for?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i just discovered the draft is synonymous with the furnace coming on...there is a pipe which flows into it for the ac condensation to dran. sounds like this is it??
baby12121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

If air is coming out of the drain when the furnace is on then the furnace is pulling it from the floor drain. first do as the other posted said and see if it has a trap, If it does have a trap check to make sure it has enough water in it.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 252

Plumber Jim, that was my first thought. But the op said "there is a pipe which flows into it for the ac condensation to drain". Since the evaporator is in a pressurized space when the fan is on, it is likely to get a draft from the condensation drain. It doesn't sound like a problem, and if it is, I would not know how to fix it. Putting a valve on the condensation line would be risky because forgetting to open it could cause some real problems.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote