Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Downspouts underground

It is my understanding that using solid pvc underground, with the right angled flow will prevent any ice blockage in the winter. Is that correct? My underground downspout drainage flows consistently downhill at roughly 2 inches for every 8 ft for about 50 ft length.

Quantilium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Downspouts underground

Where are you located to help for a clue on your climate?

I have a solid pvc from my downspout to a pop-up in the yard to disperse the water. When there is little snow cover (insulation) early before the cold weather, I switch over to a traditional extension and down spout and spread it out to allow natural dispersion and freezing. Some years with early snow the ground never freezes deep enough to freeze the pipe and dischage.

I have a single oversize down spout and long seamless gutters (about 30' joined to another town house of the same length) to handle the amount of water that occurs from from the "gully buster storms" and also deal with the years when the snow and melting can be variable. Everything got better when we went to properly sized drainage (eliminated gutter guards, etc.) and allowed the water to flow.

I am living in the "theater of seasons", so flexibility (one or twice a year if necessary) makes life easier and saves the landscaping.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 08-15-2013 at 12:04 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #3

Downspouts underground

My property slopes downward towards the backyard so it will the end will be open air well away from the house. Water shouldn't have a chance to linger in the pvc as it would with corrugated.
Quantilium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downspout, drainage, eavestrough, trench, underground