Downspouts Ran To Septic Tank - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SeniorSitizen

Old 03-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Downspouts Ran to Septic tank

We bought our house 2 years ago. It is a fixer and we bought it as-is with the idea of remodeling it. This is one of those houses where you realize the previous owner(s) were complete idiots and hacked everything they touched.

I had concerns in the past that there might have been an issue when we would get an occasional whiff of sewer smell. I thought it might be coming from roof vents and thought little of it. Today during a heavy rain, I decided to pull the outflow lid of the tank ( happen to be thinking about it.) I saw clear water steadily running through the outflow. Confirmed no one was using or flushing water in the house and went back out and still see it flowing.

Is this a big of a deal as I think it is? For sure this would need to be fix?

Advertisement

Flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 13,768

Re: Downspouts Ran to Septic tank

If it is the gutters you will flood you leach filed and the toilet will become unusable during heavy rains.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,106

If they are mostly plugged with leaves, tree twigs and stuff like most are they may not being too much damage at present but if that was my house they would be disconnected before dark.
Yodaman likes this.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,654

Divert the downspouts well away from the house and have the discharge from them routed to a lower area if possible.

Eliminate the connection between the downspouts and septic tank and have the septic tank pumped to get the leaves, seeds, dead birds and critters out.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #5

Disconnected the offending downspout. Still have flow. Thinking now there may be a foundation drain connected it as well? This is going to require a shovel.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 5,592

Post up some picture if you can. We might see something you might not.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #7

@Windows on Wash - Sorry, didn't see this till now and its too dark for pictures now. The down spout was NOT connected to septic tank ( thanks to a day of busting my hump. The down spout goes into a gravel drywell about 7 feet away from tank.

Considerations:

1. everything is buried so not much to see
2. When water was flowing into the tank it was raining Very hard. Today was a dry day and at last I check there is very minimal flow in the outflow of tank.(almost none.) the tank is about 3 foot from daylight basement foundation wall.
3. That side of the foundation wall does NOT have footing drain. The Footing from upslope (which is very steep) is buried, and then the footing daylight to grade with signs of a little undermining.

4. There are 2 downspout drains (pipes) next to each other. the one that I dug up goes to dry well, The other has a glued on cap. It is behind the pipe that I dug up all of which is in a very tight space under a catwalk deck ( I have to crawl in the dirt just to reach them. -fun

Conclusions:

1. There may be a storm drain pipe that is connected to septic tank.
2. Ground water may be leaching into the tank somehow. The tank is 2' below grade so unable to tell.
3. Some idiot poured a concrete deck support on top of the tank. -This will need to be remedied. This is the cat walk portion of deck. Catwalk is 4' wide by 28' long and posted up from sonotube w/6x6 PT Post to a 48" 6X10 girder( or beam.) Initial plan is to move the 6x6 post over towards the house (basically change it from an "L" to a "T" configuration) and carrier that member from the middle of beam instead of from deck edge. I will then add "V" member supports on either side of the 6x6 to add stability. - This is probably hard to follow on a posting without a pictures.
4. I may need to dig up inflow side of tank, and see what is going on there, and if it is sealed good.
5. add footing drain.
6. Check for a crack in the tank by having it pumped.

I am all out of ideas now.

Advertisement