Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Double leak! I need help. :(

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am also a new homeowner and am very happy that I found this site. I don't know plumbers lingo, so please bear with me.

My upstairs bath has 3 handles, the middle handle switches the flow of the water to have it coming out of the tub spout or the shower head. No matter whether I'm taking a shower or filling up the tub via the spout, when I turn off the water, it does not shut off completely. There is water leaking, or should I say dripping? So if I'm using the shower head, then once I turn off the water, the shower head still drips. If I'm taking a bath via the spout, once I turn off the water, the spout still drips. I should also note that either one works well. Meaning when I choose shower, no water is coming out of spout and vice versa. The problem is the dripping. The water is not completely shutting off. Should I call a plumber? Or, is this something I could do by following instructions from your advices?

Attached are pictures of my tub, just in case I didn't describe it well enough. You could even see in the picture the water dripping from the spout. Please help! Thank you for your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Double leak! I need help. :(-1.jpg   Double leak! I need help. :(-2.jpg  

Last edited by siratfus; 06-15-2010 at 05:02 AM. Reason: adding better descriptive words
siratfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 AM   #2

There are washers or something similar in the valves that shut off the water. They are either worn or damaged and need to be replaced. It is not a difficult job but requires some expertise with tools. There are good DIY books at home and hardware stores on plumbing repairs. Pick one up to familarize yourself with how those faucets work.

To some, DIY is easy, there are others that should NEVER touch tools. Not sure where you fit, but basic knowledge is a must.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Handyman

The cartridges are shot. Turn off the water to the house.

If the shower head is dripping it sounds like the diverter cartridge is also shot. Remove the small round caps from the handles with a knife or something and you will see a screw holding the handles on. Remove the handle and you should see a nut shaped connection. Use a wrench turning counter clockwise to remove the cartridges and take them to the box store to have them match them up.

Also, when the cartridges are out, get a flashlight and inspect the seats (brass fittings which the washer seals to) If they look gouged you ca replace them too but you will have to buy (rent?) a seat removal tool. Kind of looks like an allen key but bigger.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
The cartridges are shot. Turn off the water to the house.

If the shower head is dripping it sounds like the diverter cartridge is also shot. Remove the small round caps from the handles with a knife or something and you will see a screw holding the handles on. Remove the handle and you should see a nut shaped connection. Use a wrench turning counter clockwise to remove the cartridges and take them to the box store to have them match them up.

Also, when the cartridges are out, get a flashlight and inspect the seats (brass fittings which the washer seals to) If they look gouged you ca replace them too but you will have to buy (rent?) a seat removal tool. Kind of looks like an allen key but bigger.
Thanks Canadaclub! I can follow your instructions but can you clarify again in layman's term. When you say remove the small round caps from the handles, do you mean the left and right, or all three including the middle? Using logic, I'm guessing you meant left and right, but I'm also guessing that the diverter cartridge is the middle, so that means all 3 needs to be fixed? Is that right?
Old 06-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Handyman

All three, same app applies
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
All three, same app applies

Canadaclub! Thank you, I fixed my problem by your advice! However, I'm not sure if the cartridge/stem was shot or just needed tightning and a missing washer because it still looked new. I did not take the chance and replaced it with a new one, tight it up real good and the dripping stopped.

I also deduced that not all 3 needed to be replaced because I had put a bucket there nights before and the water that was collected was warm, so I figure it was the hot water side that was wrong. If you can't turn it off then no matter if you're using spout or shower head, it would drip. So the diverter isn't necessary broken.

Anyway, once the hot water cartridge was replaced. The dripping stopped for both spout and shower.

This has been educational too because I'm inexperience, I made some rookie mistakes. Like removing the stem to early after the water was shut off. There was still leftover water pouring out and it leaked downstairs above my laundry room. Everything is okay now, but I know there is a puddle of water above my laundry room ceiling. Anything I can do about that?

Last edited by siratfus; 06-17-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Handyman

Oops! Forgot to mention that. I wouldn't worry about the water, it will evaporate. You may get a small stain on the ceiling but I doubt there was enough water left in the pipes to cause any serious damage. Anyway, glad to see you have it fixed.