Does This Water Heater Price Sound Too Expensive? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Does this water heater price sound too expensive?

We are remodeling and have had a new gas furnace and water heater installed. The furnace was included in the overall bid, but the water heater was an add-on. Recently we've been worried about possibly being overcharged, so we researched the price of the water heater, which is in the $1300 range. We were charged $3000, which included venting and installation. Does this sound very high, or is this in range? Our GC has told us that he does not tack anything on for himself, but the change order is on the GC letterhead, not the plumber's.

Any input would be appreciated!

Advertisement

ElizaWhyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 258

It sounds a little high, but more details would be needed, such as the extent of the venting and gas piping needing changed. Did you go to a tankless model or was it a simple swap-out?

Advertisement

tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

We didn't go tankless, but we used to have oil, so there was venting and piping involved. We got a separate bill for gas piping of $2800, which also included piping for the furnace. There was no cost from the gas company to bring the line to us, so the $2800 was just for inside piping. The plumber said he wasn't big on tankless water heaters, although I know lots of people use them. I wish we had pressed him for more information but it's too late now!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,046

Sounds like a rip job. Water heater 1300 ? Gas piping 2800 ? Depends what kind of water heater and how much piping but the pricing sounds way out of line.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,608

yes would have to agree with coldiron....here in pa that sounds rough....but some more details are needed....what type of heater...draft hood...power vented...these things can dictate the higher cost...ben
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

Yes it is Bradford White model numberM-2-TW-75T6BN, power vented energy saver residential water heater. It has a black hood on the top and is vented to the outside at the basement level on the side of the house. The cost of the unit on Pex Supply website is $1298.75. Not sure whether a contractor would be able to get it for less.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #7

Does the information on the model change whether the price seems high? Thanks, all for your input.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

How large is your house? Do you have a large family? I can't help but wonder if you were sold way more water heater than what you really need. I'm curious to know what the plumbing guys think about whatever factors are involved in selecting a heater size, and if the whopper you got (75 gal) is justifiable. I'm way out of my element here, but....

I do know about my own home and the heater I just installed about 3 weeks ago. It's also a Bradford White, and it appears to have the same nifty Honeywell electronics as your model, although mine is 40gal/40K BTU. My heater cost around $400. It came from the plumbing shop of a family friend, but that's still the price they charge anybody. I have an 1100 square foot house and no sign of running low on hot water no matter how hard I try.

Last edited by Jay 78; 12-20-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Gold plated fittings on that gas piping job?
do you have a picture of the install and venting
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaWhyza View Post
Yes it is Bradford White model numberM-2-TW-75T6BN, power vented energy saver residential water heater. It has a black hood on the top and is vented to the outside at the basement level on the side of the house. The cost of the unit on Pex Supply website is $1298.75. Not sure whether a contractor would be able to get it for less.
yes that does change the price to a higher bracket..it is a 75 gal tank..it is power vented.... BUT 3000.00 labor and material plus 2800.00 for gas line... I really want to be reasonable and not talk bad about anyone because we all have our pricing....with this in mind...in the plumbing and hvac indusrty some things are close to standard I believe this is one area that is and there is no way this price is acceptable.....sorry I think you were overcharged....both for water heater,,,,and gas line...Ben............ do yourself a favor and get model and serial # off heater itself.....

Advertisement

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-20-2011 at 03:37 PM.
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-20-2011)

Tags
gas water heater , water heater