Does Shed Drain Need Hookup? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 48

Does Shed Drain Need Hookup?

I have a sink in my shed. I use it rarely, only for grey water, maybe for washing muddy boots or soaking rags. Whenever I want to use the sink I just connect it up to a water hose and let the sink drain directly into the yard. Lately, I've been thinking of making the waterline a permanent connection, trenching in a pvc pipe from the house. When I bring in the inspector to check my plumbing, do you think he will want me to also connect the sink to a drainage system? That's something that I really don't want to do because of added cost and complications.

Advertisement

Last edited by atomicdogs; 01-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.
atomicdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 12,464

Re: Does Shed Drain Need Hookup?

Yes, the inspector will likely want a proper drain line hooked up.

Advertisement

joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:48 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,288

I would imagine that he will.

Once its permanent, it all needs to be hooked up around here by me.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2017, 11:08 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 342

We have a sink like that in our picnic at our hunting camp for skinning. We just hooked up a pvc drain line that terminated even with a round hole cut in the side wall of the shed. We keep a 4' piece of pvc under the sink. When we want to use the sink drain we just connect the 4" piece and let the water drain in the yard. After you are done, just disconnect the extension until next use
Old 01-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Problem solved. To work around the problem of a required drain connection, I had a outside frost free hydrant installed next to the shed. If I ever need to use the sink I just connect a hose from the hydrant to the sink. It's not exactly what I wanted but it is cheap and eliminates having a 50' hose in the yard.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,880

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicdogs View Post
Problem solved. To work around the problem of a required drain connection, I had a outside frost free hydrant installed next to the shed. If I ever need to use the sink I just connect a hose from the hydrant to the sink. It's not exactly what I wanted but it is cheap and eliminates having a 50' hose in the yard.

If you used one of those yard hydrants that drain into the ground make sure you never drink from that faucet.
Ghostmaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:46 PM   #7

Thanks for the tip. No, I don't plan on drinking from it. I am curious. What causes the water to be bad for drinking. does it have something to do with the faucet opening up into the soil when the hydrant is off?
Old 02-01-2017, 02:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. No, I don't plan on drinking from it. I am curious. What causes the water to be bad for drinking. does it have something to do with the faucet opening up into the soil when the hydrant is off?
This no drinking from freeze proof hydrants all begin, when at county and state livestock stock shows, water hoses sometimes remained in watering tanks which were siphoned empty because of the drain back anti freeze feature was below grade. This contaminated water was the problem.

I may be able to retain my driver's license another ten years if I'm fortunate and I've drank from those the past 60 years. If it's been awhile since used I run the water just a bit to flush any spiders out. Know your equipment and drink at your own risk.

Another tip.
To check drain back feature if tree or shrub roots may be a problem. 1) when turned on, water at the spigot will be delayed a couple of seconds because the pipe is empty. 2) after closing the valve place your hand on the hose connection and a vacuum will be felt. 3) hold a drink cup so the hose connection is submerged while filling and when the valve is closed the water will be siphoned from the cup and measures drain back rate.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 02-01-2017 at 02:51 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #9

Thanks, I learned something today. Just one more question. I've read where you are supposed to disconnect your hose after use to insure that water is not trapped in the faucet. Do you think if I opened the tap at my sink that the water hose would siphon out? It would be nice to not worry about disconnecting my water hose after each use.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,022

Quote:
Thanks, I learned something today. Just one more question. I've read where you are supposed to disconnect your hose after use to insure that water is not trapped in the faucet. Do you think if I opened the tap at my sink that the water hose would siphon out? It would be nice to not worry about disconnecting my water hose after each use.
Un-necessary to open a faucet. If the drain freeze proof feature of the hydrant is working as designed there won't be any water remaining in the hydrant.

Prove this to yourself by filling a container ( a gallon or two ) with water via garden hose and leaving the hose end near the container bottom. Unless the container is at an elevation below the buried hydrant, when you come back and check in a few minutes the container will be empty. The only water remaining in the hose will be possibly in a low lying loop but there won't be any water in the above ground hydrant pipe nor in the hose leading up to the spigot.

That's why the kids say, daddy my wading pool or swimming pool is empty and there was water in it yesterday.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing code , shed drain