Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #1

Share |

Does this plumbing repair mean I have to replace the tile wall?

There is a leak behind the tiles in our shower, some of it is running down the spout, some going inside. There is alot of moisture under the tub behind the wall.
I figure I will have to cut the tiles to see what is going on behind there and fix it. Is it possible to cut out a section of tiles, and then replace them? Or will I have to replace all the tiles in the shower?

Thanks

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

a lot of times i'll use the other side of the wall if possible so that you don't have to tear out the surround in the shower. in my area, it's normally a closet on the other side. normally it'll work if it's not an outside wall, so i'd check it out. i've never had luck saving tiles. normally for me the first one breaks no matter what i do to be gentle

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #3

Quote:
I figure I will have to cut the tiles to see what is going on behind there and fix it. Is it possible to cut out a section of tiles, and then replace them?

It is possible. Ive seen them do it in the DIY books at home depot. I have never been able to do it, no one I know ever had luck doing it. If its as wet as you are describing the whole wall will probably have to come down anyway.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote