Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2009, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |

Does not fully go from faucet to shower

Please excuse my elementary description of this problem as I am not familiar with the plumbing/shower lingo.
PROBLEM:
I have a shower set up where there is a shower head, faucet, and three levers (Hot, Cold and the middle one that makes water go from faucet to shower). Over the past couple of months I have not been able to get the water to solely come from the shower head, when I attempt to turn the lever to do this the water comes from both shower and faucet, however if i put the lever down I can have it come only from the faucet.

SOLUTION:
????

I hope i have described it clearly enough.
Thanks
desimonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Oldie but Newbie

Does not fully go from faucet to shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by desimonkey View Post
Please excuse my elementary description of this problem as I am not familiar with the plumbing/shower lingo.
PROBLEM:
I have a shower set up where there is a shower head, faucet, and three levers (Hot, Cold and the middle one that makes water go from faucet to shower). Over the past couple of months I have not been able to get the water to solely come from the shower head, when I attempt to turn the lever to do this the water comes from both shower and faucet, however if i put the lever down I can have it come only from the faucet.

SOLUTION:
????

I hope i have described it clearly enough.
Thanks
It is likely that you can fix this by replacing the valve behind that center handle/lever or even by replacing a simple washer in that valve.

It's a relatively simple task, but it usually requires a special tool (a big deep "socket" made just for this and available inexpensively at any hardware store), and sometimes you have to cut or chip away the tile around the handle a little bit to get at it.

Once you take out the valve, take it to a hardware store and buy a replacement (or the replacement washer) and put it in, and you'll be good to go.

Here is a blow-up of what you've got:

You are going to replace or repair item #9, the mixing valve.
LookoutRanch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet, shower, water distribution