DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Does anybody know how to get the top off a Rheem Imperial Electric Tabletop? (

MrBang 02-20-2011 07:42 PM

Does anybody know how to get the top off a Rheem Imperial Electric Tabletop?
I need to pull my mother's old Rheem Imperial Electric Tabletop water heater out. (The tabletop models are the ones that are square and look like a washing machine.) I know for a fact it has given good service since 1977 when they bought the house, and I think it may have been there since the house was built in 1954. Either way it finally started leaking even though it ran way past the expected service life.

The problem is I have no idea how to get it out. I know you can loosen a screw on the front of the unit which allows the top to slide forward about 6 inches. From there there are an inlet and outlet pipe that run straight into the wall. The valve on the inlet is still under the tabletop at that point. I can also feel a coupler on the outlet which is even further under the tabletop. Obviously I need to get to those to get the thing loose. But I can't seem to get the top to lift or slide any further.

So... does anybody know how to get under there?

I am thinking since the unit is basically scrap metal at this point I could just take a prybar and rip the top off, but it would be a lot easier in close quarters if I knew the secret handshake necessary to open it further.


the_man 02-20-2011 07:46 PM

the last table top tank i installed (kenmore i believe) the top slid all the way to the front to remove. i had issues with the water lines hitting the backside of the top, so it took a little prying to get it on and off. hopefully that helps

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.