Do They Make Smaller Toilets? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,012

Do they make smaller toilets?

I am having trouble finding, maybe due to the lack of the existence of, a toilet for a small bathroom. I want the bowl to be a standard size, but a narrow-depth tank (could be taller to make up for the decerease in depth. Does such a thing exist?

Thanks.

Advertisement

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

A round bowl roilet rather than the now common, and more expensive, elongated bowl will save you nearly 4 inches. All toilets are now required to be low flush, and this translates into smaller tanks.

What is your rough-in dimension? The distance from center of closet flange (toilet flange) to the wall. Measure this to be certain you do not require a toilet with a smaller rough-in dimension. Since it sounds like you have a very tiny bath the builder may have moved the closet flange closer to the wall for more space too.

Advertisement

MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

Thanks for the reply.

I am in the process of completely remodeling the bathroom, so the current specs are not important. I planned on getting a non-elongated bowl, but I wanted something with an extra-small tank if possible.

Here's the thread about my bathroom remodel. I thought the specific toilet-related question should go here in the plumbing forum.

Bathroom Remodel - design questions

Old 01-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

Dimensions below are for the American-Standard Cadet 3 toilet. A very good toilet at an attractive price.

Round bowl with 10 inch rough-in. Distance from back wall to front edge of toilet bowl is 26-1/4 inches

Round bowl with 12 inch rough-in. Distance from back wall to front edge of bowl is 28-1/4 inches. This model cost me ~$140 for the complete kit two and a half years ago.

Elongated bowl with 12 inch rough-in. Distance from back wall to front edge of bowl is 30-1/4 inches.

Since you are doing a complete remodel you can install your closet flange 10-inches from the wall to give your self more space iin a small bath. Realizing the 10 inch rough-in toilet may cost significantly more than the standard 12 inch rough-in models and may need to be special ordered.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

Roger - that's great info, thanks. I'll gladly pay more to gain 2" of floor space in front of the toilet. I only will have about 2'2" even with the smaller toilet between the toilet and the sink. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

depending on how much you want to pay, you might consider a wall mount toilet with an in the wall tank.

at this page

you can see an example of a wall mount toilet and the hardware and hidden tank configuration. As you can see, the amount of room gained is equal to the depth of the tank itself. One thing you would want to check on is how thick the wall must be to be able to accept the framing and the tank. This one, if I read the specs correctly, is 5 1/2 deep. I do not know enough about them to be able to tell you if other manufacturers make a thinner tank or not.

or here is one that is simply a high tank. Pretty funky looking but I believe there are others that are more "normal" available.

Last edited by nap; 01-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Just call me Andrew

Interesting idea... What would maintenance be like on one of those units? Do they operate like a normal toilet (fill valve, flapper, etc)? seems like it'd be pretty tough to change those parts.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I have a similar problem, but am locked into mechanical constraints! First of all, the very small bathroom is on a slab with a 14" rough in. An old (circa 1970) Eljer round bowl with a wall to front of bowl dimension of 26 1/4" is the current toilet. Directly across from the toilet is the access to the shower. So, I have to keep the space as great as possible.

I've looked at practically every spec sheet from the majority of manufacturers, and the only one that "may" work is a Toto Vespin skirted toilet using the 14" Uni-Fit rough in option. It measures 28" from wall to the front of the elongated bowl. I can't afford to lose the 1 3/4", but it may be my only option for a 1.6gpf toilet. I wish it was more simple, but it's not in this case.

Any input would certainly be appreciated.
colloquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

colloquor -- with a 14" rough in you could gain a fair amount of space by renting a jack hammer and remodeling your slab They work quite well and it will really let you gain some inches.

Advertisement

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote