Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:59 PM   #1

Share |

Do they make this?

I would like a valve that would fit on a 3/4 inch CPVC line, that is controlled by a timer. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? Solenoid type or whatever.

Livewire78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #2

Do they make this?

not sure what you are going to use it for , but it sounds like something for your automatic sprinkler system ought to work they will have lots of kinds of timers and controlling circuits herein texas the irrigation buisness is big and you ought to be able to find lots of these kinds of things
look into sprinkler control systems
good luck!!

Bob Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Do they make this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Funk View Post
not sure what you are going to use it for , but it sounds like something for your automatic sprinkler system ought to work they will have lots of kinds of timers and controlling circuits herein texas the irrigation buisness is big and you ought to be able to find lots of these kinds of things
look into sprinkler control systems
good luck!!
Actually It would be to cut the hot water off after a given amount of time. Does anyone know of a website that carries such water control valves?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

Do they make this?

To get more specific, I have a teenager in the house that likes to take hour showers, and the gas bill is killing me. So I'm going to install a water valve set up on a timer and when the timer is up the bye bye hot water and hello really cold water. And that equals a shorter much quicker shower
Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 AM   #5

Do they make this?

Change the shower valve to one like in school or prison where you have to push it in every ten seconds and the temp. is preset Save the old valve someday the teen will leave and then you can switch valve again and enjoy a nice hot shower
plumberinlaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #6

Do they make this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livewire78 View Post
To get more specific, I have a teenager in the house that likes to take hour showers, and the gas bill is killing me. So I'm going to install a water valve set up on a timer and when the timer is up the bye bye hot water and hello really cold water. And that equals a shorter much quicker shower
A lot of campground showers are coin operated

http://www.watercon.com/html/controllers.html

A twist on that gradually cuts water flow:

http://www.showermanager.com/index.shtml
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors

Do they make this?

new showers are required to be of the anti scalding or tempering in most areas,nobody else sees a legal/code violation in this instalation that turns off the hot water?
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #8

Do they make this?

That turns off the HOT water ??? No
How does cold water scald you ??

It is possible to turn a shower on cold water only
Old 03-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Do they make this?

check with a local plumbing inspector to see what they think about it
Old 03-02-2010, 08:15 PM   #10

Do they make this?

How about instead explaining how a tempering valve at a water heater mixes hot water into the cold water supply?
Oh wait...it doesn't...it mixes cold water into the hot water to keep it around 140

Now explain to me how a shower valve mixes hot water into the cold supply
Oh wait..again it doesn't
Because you can turn a shower on cold water only
These devices are in place to prevent SCALDING

There isn't any requirement to force someone to take a warm shower
If you know of such a code please post it
Old 03-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Do they make this?

ill tell ya what ill call omahas chief inspector in the morning since they have their own city code and ask if they would pass it on an inspection,ill also call bellevue and ask the chief since they use upc in bellevue that will give atleast 2 differant points of view on this issue.
and yes many camp ground showers are coin operated but i dont remember them shutting off just the hot water,im guessing they shut off the hot and cold water at the same time! anyway ill check with the city inspectors in the morning and post what i find either way it goes
Old 03-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #12
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Do they make this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
How about instead explaining how a tempering valve at a water heater mixes hot water into the cold water supply?
Oh wait...it doesn't...it mixes cold water into the hot water to keep it around 140

Now explain to me how a shower valve mixes hot water into the cold supply
Oh wait..again it doesn't
Because you can turn a shower on cold water only
These devices are in place to prevent SCALDING

There isn't any requirement to force someone to take a warm shower
If you know of such a code please post it
I can't believe such a code requirement exists, but he's right about the shower valve. If they're pressure balancing (anti scald) the cold won't work if the hot is off, and vice versa.

I say just drag a garden hose in there when the shower exceeds 10 minutes. The habit will break.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Do they make this?

Also just for the record most of the coin op showers around here that i've worked on, shut a valve on the piping to the shower head, not the incoming water. Maybe they're not like that anymore, but thats what i've seen on these old valves.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #14

Do they make this?

Thanks - I guess that means I don't have one installed
--bathroom remodel will fix that I guess
So a person can no longer take a cold shower unless they turn the WH off ?
So every shower valve that is anti-scald works that way ?
Or you can take a cold shower as long as the hot water is on (pressure) but you don't have to turn the valve to add hot water ?

My Dad used to keep the Temp so low on the water heater that it wasn't possible to take a long hot shower

So I would suggest checking the Temp setting & possibly turning it down
Of course I learned his trick & would turn it up before my shower...then back down after my shower
--he even drew a pencil line as a setting
Old 03-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
Always learning...

Do they make this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowgirl View Post
I do believe that plummen is correct about code. Just my opinion, but I think that code is put in place for safety and protection. For future owners that purchase homes, and for homes that are rentals for tenants. Because your not allowed here (NB, Canada) to turn of there hot water etc if its included in lease. Plummen is trying to be helpful, and giving his suggestion/opinion like others. I find that some people on here should speak alittle more respectful to people even if you think there wrong.

I like this site but don't visit as much, or post really anything much anymore because of response's like this. You shouldn't make people feel attacked or feel like you belittling them. Not everyone knows everything and sometimes you could be wrong to especially if you don't know where they live because codes are different. ( A few people sounding aggressive, can make people uneasy , and not feel comfortable posting questions because they may be made to feel like this. )
Folks here are very understanding to those who are respectful and follow rules, however you are unfamiliar with this situation. It was just the other day that this very user was explaining to us that he normally does something against code on purpose, and proceeded to make sour comments to other users, which ultimately lead to a moderator stepping in. Walking on thin ice, so to speak. No one has to know everything as long as others are willing to share their knowledge, which is what makes this place so great.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote