DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Do I need a license in order to fix my tub (California) (

smalgin 07-17-2006 03:30 PM

Do I need a license in order to fix my tub (California)
Hello all.

My leaking toilet caused a lot of floor damage in my bathroom. I had to move bath tub in order to replace rotten boards properly.

Now some friends tell me that I need to hire licensed guy to put the same bath tub back. Is this true?

I am in California. I tried to research this over the Internet but couldn't find any information related to my question. Please help.

Ron The Plumber 07-17-2006 07:17 PM

As the homeowner, you can do your own work on the plumbing without a license, but if you hire out, they need to be licensed.

Mike Swearingen 07-18-2006 12:28 AM

Some local jurisdictions require certain work to be completed by licensed professionals only, although as Ron said, in most places a homeowner can repair their own property as long as it is done to code with proper permits (if required).
Check with your Building Inspection Department for local code, permit and inspections requirements before beginning any major work, just to be on the safe side.
Good Luck!

PSZach 07-18-2006 05:11 PM

This is a question for your local city or county Building and Safety department. It is a repair that does not involve retrofitting the plumbing to a degree that it affects the intended performance. Your new Waste and Overflow fittings and how they are attached should be tested for leaks. Fill the entire tub with water and observe your connections form underneath and behind the tub. Drain the tub and observe all connections.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1