Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2011, 12:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Do I keep tightening toilet tank to compress gasket? Tank is not touching bowl

The task: I'm installing a new American Standard Champion toilet, and I'm now trying to attach the tank to the bowl properly.

The problem: the rubber gasket underneath the tank seems quite thick. I've pushed down on the tank and hand-tightened the bolts, but I seem to have compressed the gasket as far as it wants to go without more serious weight or pressure.

My question: Do I keep tightening and compressing the tank until it touches the bowl? The tanks is sitting about 1/4" to 1/2" above the bowl still. It doesn't look quite right just hovering there and I believe it would rock and eventually leak, based on what I've read. If yes, how best to do this safely?

I appreciate any advice as I'm new to this. I've already broken a tank this week and gone through four wax rings (with and without rubber gaskets before learning I definitely have no space for the wax ring w/gasket), so I'm really afraid to break another toilet when I probably should have called plumber in first place :-) My wife and five sons would like their toilet back.

Thanks,
Seth in NC

sethpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:55 AM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 156

Just installed 4 champions in a friends new house and shop. By tightening evenly a little on each side I was able to get the raised portion to touch at the front of the tank but seemed to tight to go much further. Once you get the front to touch the tank is pretty secure. I installed one in my house too and it was the same way. Not sure you can pull it down completely, there is quite a bit of space left at the rear. I have heard other complaints about this too, mine has been installed for 6 years and I have had no problems with the tank leaking.

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

I would just do it evenly on both sides until snug then turn the water on, you can always support it by putting something in back of the tank if there's to much movement. Most plumbing problems occur when people over tighten things.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Rehabber

Rewards Points: 75
Arrow

I agree with COLDIRON. Had the same problem with new A/S toilet. I put rubber shims on sides and back, out of sight, to keep tank level and prevent pulling bolts too tight. Sort-of glad to hear others have this same problem because I thought it was just my technique.

CMHbob

Visit my blog for latest project and reno tips!
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Update: I called American Standard and they told me that while it is tight, it is designed to be fully compressed until the tank touches the bowl, and to tighten very gradually until it gets there. So, my wife sat on the tank (she barely tops 100 pounds) while I tightened it up. Admittedly, it did feel much better and sturdier and looked right after tightening.

The tank is holding water (no leaks so far), but my inlet hose is too short, so back off to the box store today before I can hook it up for real.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Seth
sethpnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Veteran Rehabber

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethpnc View Post
My wife sat on the tank (she barely tops 100 pounds) while I tightened it up.
Well, that's being creative! Not sure I would have gotten that type of cooperation, though.

CMHbob

Visit my blog for latest project and reno tips!
CMHbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHbob View Post
Well, that's being creative! Not sure I would have gotten that type of cooperation, though.
I know I wouldn't have even asked for that type of cooperation.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet tank bowl gasket