Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Do I have the right shut-off valve?

I'm replacing the faucets in my daughter's bathroom and want to replace the shut-off valves. Here's what's installed now:

Do I have the right shut-off valve?-image-1057315896.jpg

This is what I purchased:

Do I have the right shut-off valve?-image-447210050.jpg

Just wondering if what I have to install is not the right kind. Don't want to get into this project and not have the right parts.

scsiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #2

Your existing valve has compression fittings on both ends. Your new one does not look to be compression on the supply side. Is the new one threaded on the inside?

Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
Your existing valve has compression fittings on both ends. Your new one does not look to be compression on the supply side. Is the new one threaded on the inside?
Yes it is.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:21 PM   #4

Not the right one. You have no threads to attach it.
You need a 1/2" NOM X 3/8 1/4 turn compression valve. Also change those old supply lines to stainless steel braded. Measure what you have before buy. they need to be at least as long or longer then what you have.
http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=203
jaydevries (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Not the right one. You have no threads to attach it.
You need a 1/2" NOM X 3/8 1/4 turn compression valve. Also change those old supply lines to stainless steel braded. Measure what you have before buy. they need to be at least as long or longer then what you have.
http://www.brasscraft.com/Products.aspx?Id=203
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Bought these a long time ago planning to do this project and it got put on the back burner. Guess it pays to double check everything before buying. Do the ones you link to just screw into the copper pipe?Can I get something like these at my local big box store?
Old 11-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru View Post
Thanks! That's what I was afraid of. Bought these a long time ago planning to do this project and it got put on the back burner. Guess it pays to double check everything before buying. Do the ones you link to just screw into the copper pipe?Can I get something like these at my local big box store?
The valves are available at the big boxes. It's not going to be as simple as unscrewing the old and replacing it wit the new. There is a ferrule inside that compresses the copper pipe to create a water tight seal. You are going to have to cut the pipe so you can use the new ferrule.

If you unscrew the small side your new valve you'll see what I'm referring to.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

You need to get either a Shark bite or Compression 1/4 turn valve, to replace that old one.

Also if that is 1/2" Copper, you need a 5/8" Shark Bite fitting with a 3/8" top male thread, or Compression fitting. With all of that corrosion on the old valve, you may need to just cut the Copper off right below, since it is most likely frozen in place for that nut.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-15-2013 at 04:02 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
It looks like you have a "Shark Bite" 1/4 turn.
The fitting is threaded.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl View Post
The fitting is threaded.
I looked at it on my phone, and it looked like a Shark bite, due to how bad of a picture. You are correct. The OP needs to either get a compression or Shark bite to fix it.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #10

Here's a little better photo.

Do I have the right shut-off valve?-image-4053861655.jpg
Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #11

It looks to me as if the gunk on the valve is coming from above. If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the valve you could clean it up and change the supply lines going up to the faucet.

Changing to 1/4 turn valves makes it much easier to shut off the water but how often do you turn off the water(?).
Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlandkpl
It looks to me as if the gunk on the valve is coming from above. If you don't want to go to the trouble of replacing the valve you could clean it up and change the supply lines going up to the faucet.

Changing to 1/4 turn valves makes it much easier to shut off the water but how often do you turn off the water(?).
I think that's what I'll end up doing. I really don't want to spend the time and money changing out the shutoff valves when I won't be turning them off too often. What's the best way to clean off the green and white gunk?
Old 11-15-2013, 08:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiguru
What's the best way to clean off the green and white gunk?
Try water and some elbow grease.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #14

Job complete...kept original shut-off valves. Didn't want to mess with them since I'll probably be out of this house in about 6 years. The biggest problem I had was removing one of the waste drains. The metal pipe was "frozen" in the PVC. Had to break out the hacksaw to get everything apart. Also, had problems with the new waste drains leaking. Had to reset both but now all ok. Thanks for all the help on this forum.

Do I have the right shut-off valve?-image-1757482299.jpg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scsiguru For This Useful Post:
djlandkpl (11-17-2013), jmon (11-17-2013), TheEplumber (11-17-2013)
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #15

like another said, looks like you need a quarter turn 5/8" O.D. (1/2" NOM) inlet by 3/8" O.D. outlet with compression fittings. you bought a threaded one.

cut the pipe before the compression ring, looks like you have plenty of pipe there.

if the current valve is not leaking and it is already a quarter turn valve, you shouldn't need to replace it. if it is not a quarter turn valve, you should definitely replace it. typically, after years and years of never turning the valve, as soon as you close it and then re-open it, it will start leaking. quarter turn valves are far more reliable since they use a ball valve with a nylon seal that will last for a very long time.

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote