Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Water System...HELP!!!

I recently had my water tested and the outcome was the following:Iron 5 ppm
Ph 5.7 ppm
TDS 93 ppm
Everything else was minimum...the tech who tested it said the water had too much iron to test for hardness but I'm sure its pretty hard water.
I think the following setup would be acceptable for my water. I also have a diagram that I could email if anyone would look at it.

Water comes in and is pressurized then runs thru a UV/Triple 20" Prefilter then ties into the outside hoses at the same time running into the acid neutralizer with calcium and magnesium carbonates then into the water softener with gravel and manganese greensand plus then ties into the brine tank with potassium chloride pellets. Then out the softener to the cold and hot sides of the house output. Including the wash water to the sump pump from both the softener tank and the overflow from the brine tank.

I would like to purchase everything I need from one location (APSWater) but need to be sure I have what I need first.

I currently have the physical softener tank and acid neutralizer tanks themselves and the pressure tank. If my diagram and information is correct, I would need the following:

1 Combo UV/Triple 20" Prefilter (Not exactly sure of the filters needed)
1 Head to the acid neutralizer tank
1 bag calcium and magnesium carbonate
2 Riser Tubes (1 for the acid neutralizer and 1 for the Softener) (my current one is 1.05")
1 Softener Control Valve (I would like a model that works off water usage not a timer)
1 Bypass Control Valve
1 bag gravel underbedding
1 CuFt Manganese GreenSand PLUS
1 Softener Funnel
1 Complete Brine Tank
1 Brine Grid
50' - 3/8 Drainage Tubing

Joecline1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

This is the most confusing post I've ever read.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #3

I am saying that I would like to assemble my own water system piece by piece. Included in the post are the specs of the water test and what I think I would need to completely build the system.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

I get that you are planning to design and assemble your own water treatment plant. What I don't get is your objective. For example, the pH of 5.7 (not 5.7 ppm) is perfectly acceptable for groundwater. a bit on the acidic side but not crying out for treatment. Why do you want to spend the money on an acid neutralizer tank?

As for the fact that you know your water is hard, how are you so certain? Your water test did not check for calcium, all it shows it high iron, which can be treated in several ways, manganese greensand is not the only solution to high iron. Rather than assume your water is hard, I suggest you get it tested for calcium then decide if you need a softener.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:00 AM   #5

This is the system the rainsoft tech wanted to put in, I would just be building it myself. In regards to the calcium of the water, my neighbor just had a company replace his system and is at the same depth and has "Very hard" water. The local water treatment company (not rainsoft) put this same system in for his house as well as a well treatment system that drops a chlorine (I think) tablet physically into his well. We currently have a very old softener in place but it only works sometimes and wastes so much water with the regeneration cycle...I would ultimately like to prevent the iron color, iron film, and make the water drinkable.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,086

Chlorine is typically used on water that has bacterial contamination. Have you had your water tested for bacteria and that is why you are considering a chlorine injection system? As for the filter, what exactly are you trying to remove with it, are there suspended solids in the water, viruses, bacteria, protozoa? Of course if you are convinced that the system designed for you by others is correct, then what is your question, you simply purchase the parts you are missing and connect them up according to the supplied drawings.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #7

There is some bacteria but mostly to remove solids. With that in mind...would the system designed fully achieve balancing ph, removing solids and bacteria, and negate the hardiness?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,088

I know this is a DIY site, but some things are better left to the pros. Forgive me, but you seem to have little idea what you're doing. I am an engineer for a defense contractor that designs and manufactures various water treatment systems. That said, when I built my own house, I had a professional design and install my system.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

A pH of 5.7 is quite acidic and will corrode copper pipes. Requires treatment if there are copper pipes in my opinion. If you have plastic or PEX pipes it is not so much of a problem.

Iron of 5 ppm is quite high and needs to be treated to make the water useful for domestic use. Manganese greensand plus may work but will almost certainly require a regenerant and I don't see any indication of a regenerant.

With TDS of 93 ppm the water is not particularly hard--if all TDS is hardness this would be hardness of about 5 grains and it is unlikely to all be hardness.

With at least two backwashing filters in the system I have to wonder whether the prefilters are a good idea. If there is lots of silt and dirt that will overwhelm the two backwashing filters you are talking about it will be a big problem for even 20" Big Blue sediment filters--they will clog quickly and adversly affect the backwashing filters down the line. My opinion is to ditch the cartridge prefilters and if you need prefiltering use either a silt filter or a backwashing media filter.

UV treatment is used to deal with bacterial contamination and it must be after the water treatment to work correctly. But if you have bacterial contamination I wouldn't use greensand plus to deal with the iron I would use chlorine injection followed by a retention tank and a backwashing carbon filter. This would deal with both the iron and bacteria. It is essential if you have iron reducing bacteria because that can colonize the water treatment equipment over time and cause continuing problems.

If you are going to do your own system you need to do some more study and get a better understanding of your water conditions before buying equipment

Bob999 is offline   Reply With Quote