Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Kitchen Island Plumbing question

Hi,

I am current DIY my kitchen island plumbing, I attached a hand draw image and hope it is clear, my question is: is this any issue with this connection?

The vertical vent line is approx 4 - 5 feet away from the drainage, so that we have to run the vent horizontally for about 4 feet, is this correct.

I looked around the internet as well, seems a lot of people suggested that a loop vent is the most appropriate way for a island vent, I have another question is: the loop vent's top point must reach under countertop? thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Kitchen Island Plumbing question-current_vent.jpg   DIY Kitchen Island Plumbing question-p1000958.jpg   DIY Kitchen Island Plumbing question-p1000959.jpg  

bayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think that your vent should be fine, although it is further away from the vertical than code allows for (if my memory serves me correct), but you dishwasher drain line in in backwards, the Y should be going the other direction.

Mark

Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Dishwasher wye wrong way and S-trapped, definitely not proper venting. Rip it all out and use an air admittance valve, or bust up the floor and have the trap below grade wying off the horizontal drain pipe.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #4

Thank you very much Mark, one more question, does this trap show in the picture considered a S-trap? I often read people say S-trap is illegal because it *cannot* be vented, I don't really understand that why is that. thanks..

BTW I live in Ontario, Canada.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 AM   #5

Thanks Plumber666, are you suggesting i make it like this? my basement ceiling is open, so lucky me don't have to open the base ment ceiling, phew...

Old 03-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #6

One more question, If I choose to do the loop vent, what is going to be the biggest concern in my case by looking at the image and picutre... Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Yes that is an S-trap and should not be used, when you change the DW drain you can change the trap. Here is exactly what the IPC of 2006 says about your venting requirement.

S-traps have been banned in most plumbing codes due to thier perpensity to cause evacuation as a result of siphoning.

You should check your local codes to determine the exact methods accepted in your area.

913.2 Vent Connection. The island fixture vent shall connect to the fixture drain as required for an individual or common vent. The vent shall rise vertically to above the drainage outlet of the fixture being vented before offsetting horizontally or vertically downward. The vent of branch vent for multiple island fixture vents shall extend to a minimum of 6 inches (152mm) above the highest island fixture being vented before connecting to the outside vent terminal.

913.3 Vent installation below the fixture flood level rim. The vent located below the flood level rim of the fixture being vented shall be installed as required for drainage piping in accordance with Chapter 7, except for sizing. The vent shall be sized in accordance with Section 916.2. The lowest point of the island fixture vent shall connect full size to the drainage system. The connection shall be to a vertical drain pipe or to the top half of a horizontal drain pipe. Cleanouts shall be provided in the island fixture vent to permit rodding of all vent piping located below the flood level rim of the fixtures. Rodding in both directions shall be permitted through a cleanout.

bayin (03-27-2011)