Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
The Carpenta!!!

Rewards Points: 75

DIY Install of Tankless Water Heater

Generally how difficult is a tankless water heater installation? I'm pretty handy and can do most Home Improvement projects easily. I'm also a really quick learner with a little practice.

ManMythLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM   #2
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Well, you need to be well versed in Plumbing, Electrical, Gas Fitting...oh yea and let's not forget the vent. Generally speaking not a DIY project, especially for warranty purposes, certain manufacturers want factory trained installers to complete the project to extend warranty coverage to you the homeowner.

If you are going to try this yourself as in replacing an existing hot water tank I can tell you that 99.9% of the time the existing gas line is not big enough and usually needs replacing, the BTU's in a tankless are around 5-6 times that of a standard HWT. While this may sound rude (but not meant to be) an experienced trained person can calc out exactly what is needed, you can't just simply guess at this stuff, the new unit may work with a small gas line, but not be efficient...defeating it's purpose.

Last edited by Chris Johnson; 12-19-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Chris Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
The Carpenta!!!

Sounds like I should call an HVAC professional. My wife got a bosch tankless water heater from her work for 115 bucks and it generally runs a grand or more, plus this thing is supposed to save money and be better for the environment...if I have to hire a professional I won't like it, but I'll do it.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Yes, but hire a plumber that is trained, he can (should be able to) do the venting as well, if not I am sure he knows of an HVAC guy he can bring in to complete the install...Good Luck
Old 12-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
The Carpenta!!!

Thanks. I know an HVAC guy already, but I'm sure he knows a good plumber. Take care...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,224

MML,

Before you spend a lot of bucks on it get literature from the manufacturer of your unit and be sure it is the right size for what you are trying to accomplish. That $115 bargain could be a real bargain or a costly experiment. Get the specs. The lit will also let you know the gas, electric and venting requirements. Also you want to check to make sure everything is there that should be.

If you can get the right info and have experience in running gas, electric, plumbing and venting then go for it. If not, but you're pretty handy then you will need to commit to a lot of careful study and planning before you start. It can be done but make sure you have figured out all the answers before diving in.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,224

BTW, they will usually save money but how much depends on your water useage. It is not always a big savings.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
BTW, they will usually save money but how much depends on your water usage. It is not always a big savings.
The ROI is what influenced my decision to not install a tankless system. Based on my usage (there are only 2 of us in the house) and 80% vs 95% AFUE. The savings for me would only be $7/month. It would take 11 years to recoup the cost. Service calls push that figure out further.
To have a pro do the installation would probably set you back about $1000 + the vent kit.
If you plan on living in your current house for a long time, it's probably worth it, otherwise you're installing it for the next owner.
With that said, if I could pick one up for $115, I'd install it.
Which model did you get and can you get one more for me?