DIY Comedy--PVC For Main Water Line? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Comedy--PVC for main water line?

My daughter’s 1925 era home is kind of like the Winchester Mystery House. I am a 63 year old DIYer who inherited my father’s plumbing tools and until a second ago have never heard of a “shark bite” system.
Everything under my daughter’s house is galvanized pipe. I began by wanting to clean up some plumbing that it turned out went from the house about 20 feet to the garage where the laundry is. One line is hot water with a leaking anti siphon valve and the other line turned out to be the ¾” cold water line from the street water meter that had a leaking anti siphon valve.
My son-in-law found he was killing plants when he used a faucet that was next to the sprinkler manifold. I discovered that it was tied into the hot water line. It must have been used to help clean out the rust in the system, maybe.

Here’s the funny part. I decided to eliminate that pipe and put the faucet onto the cold water line. That seemed like a sensible thing to do. After I cut the pipe and tried to remove it I discovered it had a T and was supplying hot water to the kitchen faucet. There is one foot of clearance so there is no way I could get a pipe wrench on it to put an L there instead.
I had already proudly tied the two lines back together with galvanized pipe the cut pipe was tied into. actually, the pipe broke when I tried to use a pipe wrench on it. Luckily I was able to re thread the cut pipe and reconnected it to another section of the hot water line about a foot away. The cost of this little exercise was about $50 in fittings but I did learn a lot about the plumbing under there. The plumbing outside now looks a lot cleaner and there are no leaks. The anti siphon valve on the line into the house makes a rattle that is quite annoying then the outside faucets are on.

Here’s my concern. When I replaced the union and anti siphon valve on the line into the house I noted that the ¾” pipe is occluded, rusted, to the point that it is only about ½” in diameter. It's only a matter of time before it bursts.
The primary complaint is that they have is the low water pressure and that the sprinkler system doesn’t work well. (The pipe going into the sprinkler manifold is 1 ¼” in diameter (?)).

Question is, can I tie into the water meter, which has a 1” diameter outlet, with PVC and run that 1” PVC line to the house? Doing that will require trenching a line about fifty feet to the street through their beautiful yard, sprinkler system, ivy, and who knows what.

Sorry for the long commentary and thanks for any opinion you have about using PVC for a primary water line.

Advertisement

Daulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

You can do it with pvc. Some areas here require about 5'ft copper comming off the meter then, converting to pvc. I would recommend adding a tracer wire in the ditch when using plastic incase, you need to locate the line in the future. I have used pvc. For under ground , I now use pex

Advertisement

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
Daulton (03-20-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your reply.
Could someone explain what pex is? Is it easier, more reliable, cheaper than PVC?
Daulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:33 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

here . http://www.pexinfo.com/ read all about it. You can purchase at box stores / plumbing supply
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
Daulton (03-23-2011)
Old 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

Please check your local codes before using PEX piping as the water service entrance to a home. Here we cannot use PEX for the water service entrance, but can use Polybutylene, copper, or galvanized. Go figure.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thurman For This Useful Post:
Daulton (03-23-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Plumb or Die!

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Please check your local codes before using PEX piping as the water service entrance to a home. Here we cannot use PEX for the water service entrance, but can use Polybutylene, copper, or galvanized. Go figure.
Thought polybutylene was outlawed years ago. Was up here.
plumber666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Old 03-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

I've had PVC main water supply lines for many years with no problems.
You just can't use PVC for hot water lines of course.
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Swearingen For This Useful Post:
Daulton (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber666 View Post
Thought polybutylene was outlawed years ago. Was up here.
I think he meant black poly pipe used for private well service. Also is suitable for public water system individual supply lines in many jurisdictions.

Advertisement

Tags
pvc , water line